Author Topic: Spawning -Grenade Types  (Read 4854 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Spawning -Grenade Types
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:27:13 pm »
Been thinking of some new Grenades for the Aliens , one that would be thrown and turn into a static gun turret and another could turn into a floating ,fast moving Stun unit. Was thinking Both should have limited Energy amounts to use before they explode, maybe give them enough for roughly 5-10 turns.....

Will something like this possible? No point playing around with graphics until i know if it can be done.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:35:26 pm by luke83 »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Spawning -Grenade Types
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:48:32 pm »
interesting, I guess it comes down to "is it possible to spawn additional units after the battle has started". if that is possible at all, it shouldn't be a problem to have units spawned by items.

this would of course open the doors for a lot of interesting stuff, like multiworms spawning hyperworms when killed... apoc conversion, anyone? :)

or even units teleporting into battle, giving reinforcements for one or the other side after a certain time.

or some kind of "hellgate" or "summoning circle" that creates little demons every few turns until destroyed for an "XCom vs. Hell" conversion... :D :D

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:50:19 pm »
interesting, I guess it comes down to "is it possible to spawn additional units after the battle has started". if that is possible at all, it shouldn't be a problem to have units spawned by items.

Yes that part is the main question :)

Some very interesting ideas also, the Hellgate one would be needed to finish off the DOOM mod later on :) ;D

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 02:31:50 pm »
"is it possible to spawn additional units after the battle has started"

chryssalids do this all the time.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:43:57 pm »
isn't there a difference between spawning and replacing? oh, well, if there isn't, this should be no problem at all, right?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 03:22:40 pm »
technically speaking: when an infected unit dies, instead of spawning a corpse item, it spawns a new unit instead.

Offline ClaytonCross

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 03:11:13 am »
Wait, so this means snakemen could be set to spawn eggs every turn as there UFOpedia entry indicates? Then maybe hatch little unarmed snakemen with low health and only a melee attack after maybe 10 turns? That is interesting.

I like the idea of the aliens having a stun drone for "abduction missions" however I don't really like the idea of the alien turret or of the humans having the ability to get ether. I think the remotes would be better as Drones like the new game than turrets and to me turrets sound more.... deadly since they don't scout they would be primarily gun in placements that would be point less unless they were equal to or stronger then the weapons the alien deploying is using. It makes since that Xcom soldiers would not be able to take control of enemy drones but a turret will operate for who ever has the control. Also stun, drones would make live alien capture too easy for humans and I think it would take away from the game.

I would like maybe fusion grenades for a higher yield weapon so you do more destruction but have a greater chance of killing your guys too and maybe an EMP grenade that reduces TU for human tanks to 0, flight suites and floaters turn off and fall to the ground for a turn and maybe causes laser and plasma weapons to not fire for a turn. That could make starting weapons more useful since they are mechanical however you have to weight that with the lose of firepower and added weight. So instead of just having a heavy plasma you might also carry a standard pistil in case you get EMPed, but that could work for ether race and it would cause them to need to hid for a turn. But in small areas you would all lose good weapons and melee aliens would still have some possible strength end game.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 12:46:31 pm »
Wait, so this means snakemen could be set to spawn eggs every turn as there UFOpedia entry indicates? Then maybe hatch little unarmed snakemen with low health and only a melee attack after maybe 10 turns? That is interesting.

I like the idea of the aliens having a stun drone for "abduction missions" however I don't really like the idea of the alien turret or of the humans having the ability to get ether. I think the remotes would be better as Drones like the new game than turrets and to me turrets sound more.... deadly since they don't scout they would be primarily gun in placements that would be point less unless they were equal to or stronger then the weapons the alien deploying is using. It makes since that Xcom soldiers would not be able to take control of enemy drones but a turret will operate for who ever has the control. Also stun, drones would make live alien capture too easy for humans and I think it would take away from the game.

I would like maybe fusion grenades for a higher yield weapon so you do more destruction but have a greater chance of killing your guys too and maybe an EMP grenade that reduces TU for human tanks to 0, flight suites and floaters turn off and fall to the ground for a turn and maybe causes laser and plasma weapons to not fire for a turn. That could make starting weapons more useful since they are mechanical however you have to weight that with the lose of firepower and added weight. So instead of just having a heavy plasma you might also carry a standard pistil in case you get EMPed, but that could work for ether race and it would cause them to need to hid for a turn. But in small areas you would all lose good weapons and melee aliens would still have some possible strength end game.

The idea of turret is not that its some ultimate killing machine , its a low energy weapon that would be thrown near enemy combatants ( humans) and it only lives as long as it has energy ( every turn energy is depleted by scanning for enemies and every shot reduced energy also), the idea is this could be a new tactic for the aliens to deploy, not every alien would have one of these hidden within its back pocket , i pictured these mostly reserved for Mutons ( as even in the miniature ( non-deployed) stasis, they would still require some strength to throw). Mutons need some cool toys, they are the  Footsoilders of the aliens.

Imagine your a  xcom operative , your trying to flank this last alien hiding in a house when he throws one of these babies out the front door, whilst your dealing with the new threat , he steps out behind you and flanks you instead  :o

Also , assuming you would want to allow Humans to develop this tech later, you could force human to only build there own bulky-low energy versions or just make it UN-buildable , its Openxcom people , you can have it how ever you want ;D

Yes floating devices would be more useful in Harvest mission and for any alien who enjoys there meals eaten live  :P

I also want SNakeman Young , i was goign to ask , is it possible to use a similar snakeman sprite and just scale it down LIVE to use as snake man young, that would make it easy as we could just MOD the existing snakeman sprite to have no clothing and you just spawn them smaller ::)