Author Topic: Feedback  (Read 5037 times)

Offline GrandmasterX

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Feedback
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:55:15 am »
Hello,

first off, thanks for this awesome project.

A few observations:

I want to play with sound, but without music. If I set music volume to 0, I don't get any sound. So I keep the music on...

Aliens attacked my base early (aggressive retaliation = YES). The game crashed after a (for the aliens) successful attack on my base, I went back to the last savegame - since then, no attacks on my base, not even the first attack was repeated. It's end of march and there were plenty of missions.

Sneaky-AI is on: Cyberdisks don't seem to retaliate much, if at all.

I have also not really noticed a difference of "sneaky behaviour". Overall the aliens seem to have a little more freedom in moving around the map, but in the original there were many many spots where an alien would never be and it feels like it is still similar. No problem, just an observation.

If you want I can observe these points futher, or you can refute those points, or maybe they are "as intended".

Offline GrandmasterX

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:45:11 am »
another thing. Spotting the aliens (showing the red "1"..."n" over the right hand weapon) used to not work in an earlier version, now it works pretty well. However, I just had the following situation:
Soldier 1 got shot at from the dark, survived. Looked at the dark, saw nothing.

Soldier 2 from further away threw flares into the dark, lighting the squares where the alien HAD to be. Nothing. No "1", no alien graphics.

Only when I went back and highlighted Soldier 1 again the square would be upated and all soldiers saw the alien.

I seem to remember that in the original, a flare etc. would instantly grant vision no matter which soldier was selected.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 05:29:06 am »
first thing: get yourself some OGG music:
https://openxcom.org/index.php/downloads-extras/

microsoft removed midi as an audio device in vista and 7, and SDL has trouble adjusting the volume as a result. it ends up adjusting the "main" volume instead. replacing the midis will remedy the situation (even if you're playing with music muted).

Aggressive retaliation means that ALL ufos will be on the lookout for xcom bases, not just retaliation scouts, so this is normal.
regarding the crash: are you using 0.9 or the nightly build? if it's the nightly, i'll look into it, otherwise this may already be fixed.

i completely re-wrote the reaction fire code a couple of days ago, you should notice a HUGE difference.

sneaky AI does pretty much exactly what you describe. it makes the aliens a little more intelligent in their movement.

additionally: i've just fixed the flare issue.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:37:49 am »
additionally: i've just fixed the flare issue.

did you fix it for flares, or did you fix it for "lighting changes", as could happen by incendiary ammunition etc. ?

Offline GrandmasterX

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:40:53 am »
Hello,

thanks for the reply!

Sound is fixed, thanks!

I'm using the nightly from 2013_06_12_1614. Plenty of more UFOs, but not actually really near my base - do they have to happen to get within a range during their normal missions to "find" me? Then I'll keep watching this.

Thanks for the information on the sneaky AI. I like the "original game experience", i.e. same behaviour for aliens, weapons etc., streamlined (custon initial base, instant grenades, short refuel) and a more challenging (sneaky AI, retaliation). I'm curious about the new reaction fire code. Have you written about what the intentions are and how it should behave now?

Another question: It seems my computer is very busy when openxcom runs, CPU, fan and graphics card working hard. I've tried a few "display modes" in options, anything else I can do to run this better?

Thanks!

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:00:28 pm »
enable an openGL display mode and ensure vSyncForOpenGL is enabled in your config to minimize system resource usage, other than that, blame the coders for their lack of optimization.

yes. UFOs have to be within a certain minimum range of your base to "detect" it.