aliens

Author Topic: OMG Natasha Morozova and Co just kicked my butt!  (Read 438 times)

Offline hth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
OMG Natasha Morozova and Co just kicked my butt!
« on: September 27, 2024, 08:19:19 pm »
So it took several reloads from beginning of battle to change the RNG tide in my favor. Shame. It was only second time when this mod brings me on knees (and many more awaits, certainly), but unlike invisible Lotus assasins this time I feel just overwhelmed by AI himself, not a particular new mechanic.

Enemies advanced toward the craft very fast and agressive and smoke cover doesn't help too much! Then at first I just landed two smoke grenades at bottom of dragonfly ladder and place most units slightly behind it (standard approach of vanilla XCOM1) - when on its first turn enemy just begin shooting at them as there was no cover! :o When on second attempt I try be more cautious and keep most of squad in dragonfly and added one more smoke inside it - then on its 2nd turn AI just precisely put a RPG rocket into cabin... XD
So in next few reloads I started to spam smoke grenades more and more and try to spread units, which somehow helped.

After all I managed to kill all enemies without loses (Morozova dies as well, because of her agressivness, see lowest "+" on screenshot), but feel myself moked by AI in field of smoke covering.

So I have some very newbish questions, please help!

1. Can OXCE provide enhanced vision to some uints? Is it "spotter: 1" param?
2. If so, can another (neighboring) AI units benefit from it?
3. How many smoke grenades required for maximizing covering effect? Is staking works if grenades explodes in same tile?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 08:41:15 pm by hth »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OMG Natasha Morozova and Co just kicked my butt!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2024, 09:00:22 pm »
Yes, if you directly hit a "spotter" unit, all "sniper" units can blind-fire at the unit. Also, if a spotter sees the unit, ... well you get the picture. Most likely the spotters (all of them in this mission) saw you before you put up smoke or were reacting to being shot at, and the sniper units (all of them in this mission) started blind-firing and/or grenading you.

That's why you want to employ special tactics in XCF. Avoid being seen (hint: darkness is great against humans) and consider carefully before firing at spotter units.

Offline hth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2024, 09:26:06 pm »
Yes, if you directly hit a "spotter" unit, all "sniper" units can blind-fire at the unit.
Yes, I was already forewarned about such behavior by answer in another post... But in this case probably
Most likely the spotters (all of them in this mission) saw you before you put up smoke
, because map is very small.

Thanks for advices.

Yes, if you directly hit a "spotter" unit, all "sniper" units can blind-fire at the unit. Also, if a spotter sees the unit, ... well you get the picture.
And how unit can be clearead out from such "mark"? Retreat behind solid cover and do nothing for turn (or maybe more) can help?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 11:08:50 pm by hth »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 02:30:30 pm »
And how unit can be clearead out from such "mark"? Retreat behind solid cover and do nothing for turn (or maybe more) can help?

Yes!

As far as I remember, all or at least a vast majority of XCF units only remember you for a turn.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2024, 04:56:57 pm »
As far as I remember, all or at least a vast majority of XCF units only remember you for a turn.

Not quite. Out of early game enemies, all Cult commanders except Exalt master remember you for two. Red Dawn armored cars remember you for two. All the MIB units remember you for at least two (PSI-Ops three). Many aliens, especially at leader level or more, remember you for two or more. The highest class ethereals remember for four.

So for very early game, including the morozova mission, one turn is enough. But later, also still in relatively early game, you will need to start paying attention that some enemy spotters will remember you for more than one turn.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 05:21:07 pm by psavola »