aliens

Author Topic: [Suggestion] PageUp / PageDoown hotkey in lists  (Read 305 times)

Offline rkagerer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] PageUp / PageDoown hotkey in lists
« on: September 15, 2024, 07:38:37 am »
It would be awesome if PageUp and PageDown scrolled a screen at a time in the lists (like in the Sell inventory list).  Home and End would be welcome as well.  Hope this is the right place to suggest.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] PageUp / PageDown hotkey in lists
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2024, 11:38:54 am »
Why would it be awesome?
Can you elaborate on that?

Offline rkagerer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] PageUp / PageDoown hotkey in lists
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2024, 01:14:32 pm »
Of course!

Right now I tend to use the scrollwheel to move around the list.  And I sure do move around it a lot.  I don't use the arrow icons that are on the screen, as it takes longer to get my cursor over their little targets - and doing so shifts my focus away from what I'm trying to read.

I've noticed my wrist is getting sore from the excessive scrollwheel use.  Scrollwheels are actually really bad from an ergonomics perspective.

PageUp and PageDown would let me scroll around entirely from the keyboard.  I would use it extensively when paging through the list to review items I can get rid of.  Being able to navigate through the list exactly one page at a time would be a nice side-effect that makes this easier.

You'd really just be making those two keys do what they've always intended to do (and what users generally expect from them, at least users old enough to have used keyboards before touchscreens displaced them).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] PageUp / PageDown hotkey in lists
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2024, 01:21:50 pm »
ok

do you want the scrolling to be automatic when holding the key pressed down?
or should each press be just one scroll (regardless of how long the key is pressed)?

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2024, 01:33:49 pm »
Now that this has been mentioned, I must admit scrollwheeling larger lists can be a bit tedious and even tolling for wrists at times.

PgUp/PgDown seems like a good solution. No preference whether a button just does one scroll, or there would be behaviour for holding it down.

An alternative approach might be holding down some keyboard button + scrollwheel would scroll whole screen at a time, instead of one entry at a time. This would be in line with some other such keyboard + mouse combinations.

Offline rkagerer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2024, 06:13:16 pm »
Quote from: Meridian
do you want the scrolling to be automatic when holding the key pressed down?
or should each press be just one scroll (regardless of how long the key is pressed)?

I'd prefer each press correspond to one scroll.
i.e. If there are 20 items in the list, depressing the PageDown key immediately scrolls the list down by 20 rows.

If you want to get fancy you could make it start auto-repeating after the key is held down for a certain amount of time (like the way Windows works), but that's not important to me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 06:15:20 pm by rkagerer »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2024, 06:25:43 pm »
I asked if you want A or B and your answer is: I want B, but if you want to get fancy I want A.

Helps a lot  ;D

I guess I'll do what I want.

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • public enemy no. 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2024, 08:28:39 pm »
I'd prefer each press correspond to one scroll.
i.e. If there are 20 items in the list, depressing the PageDown key immediately scrolls the list down by 20 rows.

+1

Offline rkagerer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2024, 03:16:53 am »
Hah!  I think more precisely my answer is "I want B, but A is fine as long as it doesn't get in the way of B" (as would be the case if the repeat delay is too low or it some kind of smooth-scrolling behavior were implemented instead of page-at-a-time).  Hope that helps, thanks aplenty for all your hard work on this mod.