aliens

Author Topic: [WIP][MOD][OXCE] Air Warfare  (Read 940 times)

Offline dbarizo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[WIP][MOD][OXCE] Air Warfare
« on: August 27, 2024, 11:04:41 pm »
Hello all,
I have been working on a mod to expand and improve the air combat aspects of the game.
It combines a couple of mods by others (Hunter Killer UFOs By Hobbes and Solar's new UFOs, by Solarius Scorch.) somewhat modified, 5 of my own mods, and plenty of changes specific to "Air Warfare"
It includes 3 new XCom crafts and 2 new missiles, modifies the other crafts and weapons.
There are limitations to which weapons can each craft use, pilots are required, and even the "Small scout" gets a (small) gun.

I'm quite close to sharing a "beta" version, so I wanted to start sharing some info about it.

Offline dbarizo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][MOD][OXCE] Air Warfare
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2024, 11:37:17 pm »
One of the most obvious changes is the inclusion of pilots.
Before any craft can be used, pilots must be assigned to them (even interceptors). You can use any of the agents in the base, and their skills will affect the outcome of the combat.

A big implication of this is that you must have agents (and therefore living quarters) in all your bases, even those that you are only going to use to house fighters. Another, is that if all your agents are in a mission, or wounded, there won’t be any left to pilot your fighters.

The pilot’s skills affect their combat efficiency based on their Bravery, Accuracy, and Reactions.

Bravery <=30, slow approach, >=60, fast approach.
    Accuracy bonus for pilots with accuracy over 55, penalty if below.
    Dodge bonus for pilots with reactions over 55, penalty if below.

Their stats also improve after each combat (at random), and this might be the best way to improve an agent’s Bravery and Reactions.

If the craft is shot down by a UFO, pilots and passengers are still able to eject. If they survive (about 3 out of 4 times), they’ll return to the base after some hours.

Offline dbarizo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 04:28:49 am »
I've made some changes to the "Stallion", the "Improved Skyranger", named after the CH-53, and I think that the mod is ready.
Here is a link for anyone who wants to try it.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao-z49aL7uwVybkT0b6NT3QlcZOySA?e=zCU555
It requires OpenXCom Extended, and should not have any problems with other mods. I have tested with quite a few myself and all seems fine, but I recommend not using any that adds additional crafts or UFOs.

Offline dbarizo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2024, 11:04:06 pm »
All of the X-Com craft weapons have been modified, and a few new ones added. Ideally, each has a niche now.
      Cannon: About 1/2 damage per round, but 4x faster firing. Great self defense weapon against H-K UFOs
      Laser cannon: 1/4 damage per shoot, but 4x faster firing. Perfect complement for the Wasserfall and Avalanche.
      Plasma cannon: 1/2 damage per shoot, but 4x faster firing. Reduced ammo capacity to 75 shoots. Still, a Firestorm with twin plasma cannons can shoot down almost any UFO.
      Stingray: More accurate. Useful multipurpose weapon. High damage capacity if all the missiles can be fired.
      Avalanche: Shorter range (45 Km) and reduced accuracy (70%). Still a very powerful and useful weapon. Ideally used complemented by other weapons.
      Genie: Very short range, fast firing, very powerful weapon. Use at your own risk. A lucky single Interceptor could shoot down a Terror Ship. Lucky.
      Wasserfall: Combines the accuracy of the Stingray with the range and punch of the Avalanche. 4 missiles per pack.
      Fusion Ball: Decreased range (60 Km), but still safe to attack all UFOs but the Battleship. Lower power (70) but 3 (instead of 2) faster firing missiles per pack.