Author Topic: Any downsides to requesting Veteran agents? Also 1 handed gun + shield choice  (Read 1381 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Any downsides to requesting Veteran agents? Also 1 handed gun + shield choice
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2024, 10:45:37 pm »
Is there a way to see which missions are locked behind a set date? I tried checking the data viewer but couldnt see it mentioned, but a few events did mention needing specific months like the Golden Academy.

You have to look manually at the ruleset files. The missionScripts file is the most important one, but there may be something of interest in eventScripts file as well.

Checking the boxes I didnt see it from Osiron but did see it from Land Survey but its less than 1%, but might try to get some from cycling my other boxes for the sake of it, as would be fun to try out EMP as never did that damage type before, or bio, or chemical, or anti-E115. I mostly just stuck to Kinetic, Laser, Plasma and Cutting with electric / stun. I was never sure if EMP would be worth it or not since the robots have some resistance to it, but I guess the ignoring armour mentioned in the description helps bypass that?

Just looking at it can be deceptive. For example MIB Heavy Trooper takes 50 % damage from EMP which looks really bad at first sight. But for example EMP Mine the armor effectiveness is 0,25, it has damage 100, and it has 400% stun damage. One EMP mine will stun (sometimes also overstun, leading to its death eventually) usually take down any enemy unit which takes even a little damage from EMP. Within MIB Stealth Bombers if you are not susceptible to EMP yourself, you could just go next to one, drop the mine and move to trigger it, and watch the MIB heavy go down. No need necessarily to even throw it and wait for the end of turn.

CHOKE (e.g. gas grenades and mines) is another extremely effective damage type, one that can be overlooked if you don't look closely.

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Any downsides to requesting Veteran agents? Also 1 handed gun + shield choice
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2024, 01:22:42 pm »
yep Land survey sorry. Debriefing land survey and opening boxes is my way to find many items to research.

Offline Rag

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2024, 02:05:15 pm »
You have to look manually at the ruleset files. The missionScripts file is the most important one, but there may be something of interest in eventScripts file as well.

Just looking at it can be deceptive. For example MIB Heavy Trooper takes 50 % damage from EMP which looks really bad at first sight. But for example EMP Mine the armor effectiveness is 0,25, it has damage 100, and it has 400% stun damage. One EMP mine will stun (sometimes also overstun, leading to its death eventually) usually take down any enemy unit which takes even a little damage from EMP. Within MIB Stealth Bombers if you are not susceptible to EMP yourself, you could just go next to one, drop the mine and move to trigger it, and watch the MIB heavy go down. No need necessarily to even throw it and wait for the end of turn.

CHOKE (e.g. gas grenades and mines) is another extremely effective damage type, one that can be overlooked if you don't look closely.
Walking over your own proximity mines to damage the enemy sounds like a natural XCOM tactic I would never think of, I might give that a try with EMP as long as my agent isn't wearing some robotic outfit. Thnks for explaining that as I did miss the bonus stun part of it so it definitely sounds more effective than I thought, likewise for gas grenades