aliens

Author Topic: The Joy (Pain) of a Terror Ship  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Bambu

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
The Joy (Pain) of a Terror Ship
« on: July 17, 2024, 10:44:33 pm »
I have been in Hell for approximately 10 hours. During this time, I have re-enacted Tom Cruise' performance in the film Edge of Tomorrow, I believe, with a great deal of faithfulness to the concept. My pawns move in such a way, perfectly predicting that the Chaser will open that door this turn, as he did all of the other iterations. He fires a plasma shot into the chest of my captain, wearing Tritanium Tactical Gear, who tanks it with some loss to the structural rigidity of the armor and responds with a single snap shot from a Black Ops Sniper Rifle. It hits and kills- it always does, and always will, in a profound statement about free will, determinism, and the concept of chaos.

This is Turn 7 of a battle that has raged for hundreds of cumulative turns. Almost every soldier here has felt plasma eat away their lungs and heart and eyes. In extreme cases, the unlucky few have passed by a window, garbed only in an armored vest, and been vaporized by a Chaser that wasn't watching that window in previous turns. Oh well.

The battle does not reset at their death. The battle continues with what resources it has available to it, simulating death until it reaches a point of loss. And then it restarts. The first few turns are a known element: move the soldiers here and deploy these three smoke grenades there so that you can deal with the first two turrets of the terror ship aimed directly at the Skymarshall. It takes a huge barrage of gunfire, and one must adjust on Turn 2 to properly counter the Chaser with a Small Launcher, but what wounds are accumulated from that are acceptable. One must pity poor Makhenkesi, always returned to life knowing that his death is built into the fundamental fabric of The Plan.

The first five turns of this battle are a foregone conclusion. Afterwards, it becomes experimental- the way forward with minimal casualties is not known. Live, die, repeat, over and over until a suitable plan for that turn is found. As the iterations progress, Turns 6 and 7 become more and more stable, concrete, as reliable methods around obstacles are found. If Samuel Hudson crouches rather than stands, he won't be targeted by the Chaser, it will instead shoot at Kim, who will survive and fire back, after which Hudson will also fire...

I give all of this as a peek at my suffering. The horrors are unending and, it is hoped, entertaining. I ask a simple question: how the hell do you reliably deal with Terror Ship turrets with low-tech options? If it comes to a pinch, I can return to the craft (we haven't actually made it far, and of course the iteration may end, prompting a restart), and get what is available. BlackOps Miniguns, High Explosives, a litany of grenades, Taser Cannons... because the usual strategies aren't cutting it, not reliably. It takes too many shots to down and we have to fire blind from the smoke, lest they return fire, leading to too many misses- misses that give the turret time to regenerate its forcefield. An arduous process to destroy even one, much less two to a side.

Are they weak to explosives? I can do explosives, if that would be effective- I admittedly have little success with pinpoint accurate throwing, but is it worth a try? Do let me know. Thanks.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Joy (Pain) of a Terror Ship
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 10:56:06 pm »
This has come up a number of times.

Those alien laser turrets take full damage from CUTTING (compare to only 60% from CONCUSSIVE), and their gold shield offers poor protection against that damage type. A shrapnel rocket will wreck it, and it is a very low tech option.

Shrapnel rockets are very good in many other contexts as well, because many enemies have some resistance to regular CONCUSSIVE damage but not CUTTING damage.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 11:30:44 pm »
Live, die, repeat
;D

In the end, you'll find out that the Omega Mimic Ethereal Masters Solarius made it impossible to win regardless.

Do you have big lasers? These are probably the best direct-fire weapons against the big turrets... Short of shrapnel charges and shrapnel rockets, which are just OP.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 11:33:21 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Bambu

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 02:41:27 am »
;D

In the end, you'll find out that the Omega Mimic Ethereal Masters Solarius made it impossible to win regardless.

Do you have big lasers? These are probably the best direct-fire weapons against the big turrets... Short of shrapnel charges and shrapnel rockets, which are just OP.

No, but I have researched Alien Laser Rifles, and can use the ones dropped by the aliens I kill. At this point I can actually pinpoint which ones have that particular weapon to loot for this purpose.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 03:39:26 am »
I don't think laser rifles have the necessary firepower to kill the turrets quickly enough. But you can certainly try that timeline and prove me wrong. :D

Offline Bambu

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 09:05:03 am »
I have managed to satisfactorily progress by simply re-applying the smoke grenade a few rounds after the first, as the issue has always seemed to be that it dissipates, allowing aliens coming off the ship to retaliate and the turrets to take pot shots. Even one or two deaths is enough to send the whole thing into a spiral from there, but it's been done. We are successfully escaping the Groundhog Day Hell Cycle.

This still consumes 5-6 shots per each sniper, there being 15 of the buggers shooting at the turrets from two different angles, which is an insane amount of targeted cooperation. But. It is Done.

Offline Bambu

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2024, 12:15:32 pm »

I'm shaking and crying oh my god

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2024, 04:29:38 pm »
Congrats on finally picking the right timeline. ;)

Never thought XCF would be such an emotional endeavour.

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2024, 06:38:44 am »
Never thought XCF would be such an emotional endeavour.
Found the savescummer!  :)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2024, 03:41:48 pm »
Touché. :P