Author Topic: Firing & Throwing Arc Diagrams  (Read 130 times)

Offline Mycenius

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Firing & Throwing Arc Diagrams
« on: July 01, 2024, 01:56:10 am »
Hi All, just wondering if anyone has done any diagrams for the firing & throwing arcs? I'm assuming its the same for both from what I can tell 'in-frame' - did a bit of searching but drew a blank. Have figured out it's roughly 45º to your front obviously, but would be good to see how the game engine translates that to tiles/squares - especially for when you are facing a diagonal (i.e. corner) versus a file (i.e. facing along a row of tiles).

Too often (at least it seems so) I misjudge something as being just in my arc with limited TU left and go to fire or throw and burn 1 TU with unplanned turning and get the dreaded "not enough time units left..." message.

TIA

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Firing & Throwing Arc Diagrams
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 11:07:30 am »
What do you mean by 'throwing arcs'? AFAIK, the trajectories are fitted to where you throw, and the angles can thus vary wildly.

FoV is more or less 45 degrees. If you want a visual aid, play BOXCE (you can disable the improved AI and most other changes) and use the 'Fog of War' option 2 for dynamic FoV.

Offline Mycenius

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 11:10:06 pm »
Thanks Juku121 - that sounds good - planning to move to OXCE after I complete my current game in OXC (incidentally can you migrate a game save from OXC to OXCE mid-game?). So will have a look at BOXCE.

With throwing arcs what I mean was similar to LoV/Firing Arcs - i.e. where can you throw without using any TUs to turn/reface - but I presume it's the same as the firing.

Incidentally in the example image you posted I would expect if you tried to fire along the edges of the "V" (vision arc) shown you'd burn 1 TU turning... as that's ~90º total arc and it seems from my play experience you fire anywhere outside ~45º (i.e. 22½º either side of straight ahead) you are required to turn...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 11:11:49 pm by Mycenius »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 07:47:30 am »
Thanks Juku121 - that sounds good - planning to move to OXCE after I complete my current game in OXC (incidentally can you migrate a game save from OXC to OXCE mid-game?).

Yes, you can switch the engine back and forth. (Obviously not with mods with require OXCE, of course.)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 10:40:12 am »
As far as I can tell without looking at code, you can indeed fire/throw in a 45º cone. Basically, you have eight facings, and every tile can be divided into one of them. If your current facing is not 'right', you turn.

Throwing is just somewhat harder to tell.

Offline Mycenius

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2024, 12:04:47 pm »
Yes, you can switch the engine back and forth. (Obviously not with mods with require OXCE, of course.)

That's great - thanks. And yeah I'm only using FMP plus the included XCOMUTIL Stat Strings so had assumed that's clean enough to go across if its safe to do so...

As far as I can tell without looking at code, you can indeed fire/throw in a 45º cone. Basically, you have eight facings, and every tile can be divided into one of them. If your current facing is not 'right', you turn.

Throwing is just somewhat harder to tell.

Cheers. Yep will that 'sounds' like what I am seeing - its a 45º cone but that's divided down the middle right, so just 22½º either side of centre line... as opposed to the image above where the coloured arc is a 90º cone, so 45º either side of centre. It really just depends on if they allowed 'overlap' from each of the 8 facings into the adjacent ones either side? But seems to the vision arc (90º) is twice the firing (and probably? throwing) arc (45º)