Author Topic: "Realistic accuracy and cover system" option  (Read 7333 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: "Realistic accuracy and cover system" option
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2024, 07:21:11 pm »
Hello, Jnarical. Some time ago, you came to my stream and discord and claimed that shelters do not work in OXCE.  I checked your statement and made sure you were wrong. I did 4 tests, with my fighter and the enemy without shelter, behind a fence, behind a fence and a window and behind a tree. At the same time, all other shooting conditions were exactly the same. As a result, I found out that the shelter helps, while the larger part of the target area is closed, the fewer hits come to the target. I'm attaching screenshots.

You could have saved testing time and just ask :)

Of course, cover does work in OG, OXC and OXCE.
As an OXCE dev, I can 100% confirm that cover works as designed and as expected.

The whole misunderstanding is just who considers what being "cover", who considers what being "realistic", and so on...
It's all just definitions and terminology.

Offline jnarical

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2024, 08:51:09 pm »
As an OXCE dev, I can 100% confirm that cover works as designed and as expected.

There's an old joke
Two Jewish ask Rabbi to resolve their argument.
First guy: "Rabbi, is black a color?"
"Well, sure..." - said the confused Rabbi.
First guy: "See, I told you! Rabbi, is white a color?
Rabbi: "Well, yes, white is a color."
First guy: "See? I told you Moishe, I sold you a Color TV!"

When I show you how accuracy is just the same to half-covered target as like as for fully exposed, you call that "cover works as expected"
When I show how 95% covered target reduces accuracy from 90% to 45%, and missing shots don't hit any cover and just fly by - you call that "cover works as expected"
There's nothing to argue about, other than definitions. Cause right, black and white are still colors ))

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2024, 09:43:40 pm »
When I show you how accuracy is just the same to half-covered target as like as for fully exposed, you call that "cover works as expected"

Yes, absolutely.

When I show how 95% covered target reduces accuracy from 90% to 45%, and missing shots don't hit any cover and just fly by - you call that "cover works as expected"

Not sure what you mean, cover does not (directly) reduce accuracy in OXCE.
You probably meant "no LOS" check?

There's nothing to argue about, other than definitions.

Exactly, I'm glad we agree.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2024, 09:45:53 pm by Meridian »

Offline jnarical

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2024, 10:02:46 pm »
You probably meant "no LOS" check?
Nope. I checked that in debugger - there was no penalty.

Offline Flipbard

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2024, 02:50:39 pm »
You could have saved testing time and just ask :)

The whole misunderstanding is just who considers what being "cover", who considers what being "realistic", and so on...

Thank you. But it was really interesting for me to check for myself.

jnarical was very persistent and convincing when he came to my Discord server and began to prove that "shelters don't work." He gave formulas, drew diagrams on pieces of paper and sent photos. Although this contradicted my personal experience and the experience of people from the Russian-language chat on the game.  jnarical argued that it only seems to us that shelters work, that this is cognitive bias and self-persuasion. If I had asked you, I would have received two contradictory statements. You would say that they work, jnarical - that they do not work. Both you and he would be referring to the game code. I thought the only sure way to find out the truth was to take the test myself. I conducted it and made sure that the shelters really work. It's harder to hit a fighter behind cover. The fact that not all bullets fly into the shelter itself seems to me quite reasonable. If you aim at an ear sticking out from behind a tree, it is logical that some of the bullets will fly not into the tree, but in the other direction from this ear, i.e. past.

I apologize if I write with mistakes or use the wrong words - English is not my native language.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2024, 03:01:36 pm by Flipbard »

Offline jnarical

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2024, 09:30:17 pm »
I should admit I was wrong. Covers in OG work, seems I got used to OXC and forgot how OG feels... Which is not surprising, considering i haven't played it for decades.
I repeated experiments once again, 100 shots for each, twice for OG.  Well, "works as intended", and seems like the intention was to avoid OG behaviour altogether.

To clarify, this is the percentage of hits, blocked by cover, for similar battlefield state but for different game versions
Original game #1 — 55,6% - I call this "cover works"
Original game #2 — 57,1%
BAI / RA On — 36,8%
OXCE — 11,8% - and this is "doesn't work" to me
BAI / RA Off — 8,8% - ...this is my version in "OXCE mode", which is similar to OXCE at least in theory (doesn't work either)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2024, 12:05:25 am by jnarical »

Offline Flipbard

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2024, 11:05:53 pm »
It may be worth testing by disabling this option.

Offline jnarical

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Today at 12:10:58 am »
It may be worth testing by disabling this option.
It does nothing in case there's a line of sight fire
« Last Edit: Today at 03:19:26 pm by jnarical »