Author Topic: [Suggestion] Add Real-time engine  (Read 298 times)

Online aziza

• Captain
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Add Real-time engine
« on: March 26, 2024, 08:42:45 am »
How about adding a real-time engine to OXCE?

XCOM 3 Apoc is very good in real time (anyone even played the slow turn-based mode?)
Diablo 1 was also planned to be turn-based. But they released realtime and it was better

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Add Real-time engine
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 12:26:49 pm »

XCOM 3 Apoc is very good in real time (anyone even played the slow turn-based mode?)
Diablo 1 was also planned to be turn-based. But they released realtime and it was better

That's why I didn't play in the XCOM 3 series and above, precisely because of this unnecessary mode. By the way, Fallout-3 and higher, with a realtime engine, showed their inferiority, in comparison with the first two parts of the series.

But about the step-by-step Diablo 1 - this is an interesting thought. I think the idea of the modification to X-COM - is to put Diablo in strategy mode, where forces of hell will fight military units of the army of people... Not a bad idea for a modification.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 02:00:57 pm »
It was not an "unnecessary mode", it was the core of this game's design. As far as I know, it was the turn-based mode which was added as an afterthought because the creators feared stranding too far from the previous instalments. And I have to say that it shows in the gameplay; turn-based mode feels rather clunky and unbalanced, whereas real-time feels more polished and integrated.

It's fine to prefer turn-based games, but saying that real-time games are objectively worse is silly.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 02:50:38 pm »

Just make another xcom-like game :)

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 02:52:16 pm »
As far as I know, it was the turn-based mode which was added as an afterthought because the creators feared stranding too far from the previous instalments

Fallout feared this and did so, resulting in Fallout Tactics, where they introduced both modes in such a way that questions arose for both modes. Diablo 1 is a different story, but many are still happy with the result, despite the release of Diablo 3 and the remaster of the second part.

It's fine to prefer turn-based games, but saying that real-time games are objectively worse is silly.

I didn't say that real-time games are worse. I’m not criticizing the games of the Star Craft and Red Alert series, which I myself enjoy playing. It's just that in some cases, the transition from turn-based mode to real-time mode only spoils the game.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 04:46:57 pm »
I'm not a moderator or anything like that, but I don't see any point in further discussion, it is a such a insanely huge change, that, I bet, would nobody like to develop. Not sure it is even possible without rewrighting anything about battlescae. This, it will never be backwards compatible with turn based one. If you want it - develop or fund creating a new game by yourself with unity or godot or other generic engine - it would be a lot easier.

Online aziza

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 05:40:14 pm »
But about the step-by-step Diablo 1 - this is an interesting thought.
Here is info (also was info in beta D1 or magazine photos somewhere on Youtube)
https://www.graybeardgames.com/download/diablo_pitch.pdf
The game runs on a turn-by-turn basis; the player moves, then the opponent(s) move(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_(video_game)
Brevik prepared Blizzard for the potential added development time and to ask for extra development costs, and then on a Friday afternoon as everyone had left, started to toy around with converting the game from turn-based to real-time; within hours he had the basics of the system in place, and was able to show this to the rest of Condor by the following Monday

That's why I didn't play in the XCOM 3 series and above, precisely because of this unnecessary mode.
It's a little scary to play in real time mode after turn-based. But after playing for 1 hour, you will see that playing in real time is much faster and more comfortable. You can just sit down afk - aliens will come to you. And you don't need to spam the "End Turn" button 60 times per battle while holding a position. The game remained the same, but became smoother.

Of course, if the game engine cannot be changed - then this conversation is just a conversation
In Diablo 1 it was just an experiment and the game engine was quickly and easily changed from turn based to real time, I thought OXCE could do the same

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 11:17:09 pm »
Here is info (also was info in beta D1 or magazine photos somewhere on Youtube)
https://www.graybeardgames.com/download/diablo_pitch.pdf
The game runs on a turn-by-turn basis; the player moves, then the opponent(s) move(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_(video_game)
Brevik prepared Blizzard for the potential added development time and to ask for extra development costs, and then on a Friday afternoon as everyone had left, started to toy around with converting the game from turn-based to real-time; within hours he had the basics of the system in place, and was able to show this to the rest of Condor by the following Monday
It's a little scary to play in real time mode after turn-based. But after playing for 1 hour, you will see that playing in real time is much faster and more comfortable. You can just sit down afk - aliens will come to you. And you don't need to spam the "End Turn" button 60 times per battle while holding a position. The game remained the same, but became smoother.

Of course, if the game engine cannot be changed - then this conversation is just a conversation
In Diablo 1 it was just an experiment and the game engine was quickly and easily changed from turn based to real time, I thought OXCE could do the same
Was Diablo more RogueLike where each your step enemy step too? This is some thing complete diffret to TimeUnits turn based game.
Beside even if one game can be changed do not means that any other game can be similarly changed. For OXCE simpler would be to scrap whole battlesacpe and write it from scratch to have real time actions.

Anyway, you miss whole point of Tactical Turn Based Game, "just sit down afk - aliens will come to you" this is not point of UFO and OXC, this is opposite of spirit of this game, this statement on its own guarantee NO as answer for this feature as it opposite to thing this game should be.

Offline WarStalkeR

• Sergeant
  • Repensum Est Canicula
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 07:50:45 am »

I liked real-time Apoc mode very much. I even looked through the OXCE's code and compared it to OpenApoc's code. Basically, to implement it I will need to write completely new implementation of Battlescape code, which I'm not sure if I have enough C++ skills in the first place. And this is pretty much time-wise insane endeavor.