aliens

Author Topic: Lack of XCF wallpapers  (Read 389 times)

Offline 75338

• Sergeant
  • Rogue. D2X HC SP. WoW filmmaker. Epic 40K.
    • View Profile
Lack of XCF wallpapers
« on: March 20, 2024, 08:44:38 pm »
Hi. Noob here (played the originals since 1990s), barely started playing XCF. I like having game wallpapers while I'm playing a game and noticed a clear lack of XCF wallpapers. Unfortunately I have little talent in the field but hope I missed out on some while searching these forums and google.

Best I have so far:

NVM CAN'T POST LINKS [I fail at getting an AI to remove the top right twitch logo and lower left date]

I also tried and mostly failed to bring AI image generators to make me something, but after a few hours of messing around I (or rather Bing Copilot Designer) brings you the following attempts (one of which is at least halfway decent):

Help?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of XCF wallpapers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 11:19:04 pm »
Help?
I'm no artist, either. Nor AI-prodder, for that matter.

But I have this pedia image I took from someone quite a while ago (forgot who or where, sorry :-[ ), and pasted an Apoc logo onto. Did a quick Upscayl and I figure it's not a total disaster as an XCF wallpaper.

Edit: You could also grab one of the Let's Players' screencaps off a search engine's image search, like this:

These would be a bit iffy to modify and share here, though.

I kinda like the caption 'Tired of Sectoids'. ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 12:17:37 am by Juku121 »

Offline 75338

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 03:31:53 am »
Thanks! Those are awesome.

I messed around a bit more ...with ummm yeah results. The bottom right and top left are kind of ok at least lol. Nvm.

Offline HinterDemGlas

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 09:58:53 am »
If you just want to remove the logos and adjust the size, and are apparently willing to invest a couple hours of your time... I would just learn the basics of using an image editor. GIMP is free! Paint dot net is also free and easy to learn and probably sufficient for your purposes.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 10:18:27 am »
Removing the logos is easy, replacing what's removed might not be.

I'm no stranger to basic GIMP and I could do some sort of half-assed job on "Tired of Sectoids" or the corner logos, but if you looked even in the same direction as that, it'd be obvious that something's up.

The #1 is easier, since the 'space' background is the game's own. But these corners are sizable.

But perhaps I'm just stupid and don't know the tricks.

Edit: Case in point.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 10:35:46 am by Juku121 »

Offline HinterDemGlas

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 11:04:27 am »
That edit looks good to me. The bit of mirrored smoke isn't obvious (and looks a bit like an evil face which is a bonus if anything).

Offline 75338

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 04:11:26 pm »
Thx @Juku !

I'm also trying to learn a bit more about AI while I'm at it.

I was pleasantly surprised at quickly being able to edit out the big #1 that was in the bottom left of this image (in MS Photos):

Offline 75338

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 04:24:48 pm »
I'm familiar with simple editing of image resolutions using Irfanview (google for download, I can't post links), see attached for some 3:2 (my new Framework laptop) edits of the other stuff I found. Should work ok for 16:9 monitors also.

The workflow in Irfanview is simple: Open With > Irfanview, Alt+I for Image menu, Z for Canvas SiZe, Method 3 and select aspect ratio, Alt+A to apply and experiment.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 04:56:42 pm »
That #1 is exactly the problem I was referring to in my reply to HinterDemGlas. I was lucky that the sand was very uniform and the 'fog' was already smudgy itself.

I played around with some in-game resolutions and while not pixel perfect, the fact that it's the game's own background makes it much easier to extract the right image.

I generally use GIMP itself to rescale, XConvert if I need to batch process and convert formats, or UpScayl for, well, what it does.