Author Topic: how to change user folder game folder etc  (Read 244 times)

Offline Simon79

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
how to change user folder game folder etc
« on: March 08, 2024, 08:34:41 pm »
how to change user folder game folder etc
I have the game on G drive - copied the whole thing mods and all to F drive and wanna run it from there - how do I change user folder, save folder and config folder in folders???
If I press on the location to alter it the folder simply opens

Sooo - no answer. Are you telling me I have to cobble the whole openx together again from the old xcom on a new drive, install all the mods and change all the game settings again to those I prefer, make the file alterations I've made to the xrules over these last few months all over again to be able to access my second copy of openxcom on another drive????

No cool if your months long game on a drive is lost because the drive croaks
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 11:07:07 am by Simon79 »

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: how to change user folder game folder etc
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 11:50:50 pm »
In the new location create a folder called "user".
Move anything from the new location to this new folder, with the exception of the next folders
- TFTD
- UFO
- standard
- common
Those should stay in the folder root of the new location.

This should suffice to create a portable installation (from your description that is what I assume you desire).

For completeness:
This is assuming you've also copied the executable (OpenXcom.exe) to this location, otherwise you have to start fiddling with scrips/commandline arguments.

Offline Simon79

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: how to change user folder game folder etc
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 11:11:41 am »
I originally installed it the game on G Drive (portable HDD) Then simply copy pasted the whole deal to F drive (another portable HDD) while my main windows 11 drive is C. I basically have everything I don't wanna see gone on G and F drives - identical content in case one croaks. I basically wanna be able to edit the shortcut in win 11 desktop to F or G and simply play one or the other copy as I please and not have to set up the whole thing again in case the G drive takes a nose dive.

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 11:23:10 am by Simon79 »