Author Topic: Mod idea: "Damage compensation"  (Read 9970 times)

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
Mod idea: "Damage compensation"
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:35:35 pm »
During the game I was in a terror mission against snakemen and chryssalids. I had to wipe up whole city, destroying half of the buildings. And I thought that if the government would put up to XCOM bill for caused damage?
Each destroyed element of map have a certain price. Blew up the house - you pay for it. Killed the owners - pay compensation to relatives. Fired a heavy missile to gas station - get ready for a big compensation for devastation.
How's that idea?

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Mod idea: "Damage compensation"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:57:39 pm »
I like the idea, i like it a lot, but X-COM is a secret organization, technically as far as i remember they do not exist :)

I think this is the idea of the score and funding, maybe it could be reimplemented, take into account destruction since we already take into account civilians casualties.

If the amount of damage to structures is lets say for example
damage 5%  = -5 performance points
damage 10%  = -15 performance points
damage 25%  = -40 performance points
damage 50%  = -75 performance points
damage 75%  = -100 performance points
damage 95%  = -150 performance points
damage 100%  = -200 performance points

this way they damage will be reflected in our monthly "bill" do too much damage to the structures and governments won't be happy with you.

About the civilians and compensation that could be rather complicated to implement, or a simple $$ value could be assigned to a civilian but then again you are in warfare scenario and will civilians killed by alien be held against X-COM since they actually "failed" to protect them??
I think the way the civilians are treated is fair enough for now, maybe give them a little more weight in score value
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:25:59 pm by xracer »

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:25:07 pm »
Performance points as payment for damages? I like the idea.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:24:32 pm »
I like the idea, i like it a lot, but X-COM is a secret organization, technically as far as i remember they do not exist :)

I think this is the idea of the score and funding, maybe it could be reimplemented, take into account destruction since we already take into account civilians casualties.

If the amount of damage to structures is lets say for example
damage 5%  = -5 performance points
damage 10%  = -15 performance points
damage 25%  = -40 performance points
damage 50%  = -75 performance points
damage 75%  = -100 performance points
damage 95%  = -150 performance points
damage 100%  = -200 performance points

this way they damage will be reflected in our monthly "bill" do too much damage to the structures and governments won't be happy with you.

About the civilians and compensation that could be rather complicated to implement, or a simple $$ value could be assigned to a civilian but then again you are in warfare scenario and will civilians killed by alien be held against X-COM since they actually "failed" to protect them??
I think the way the civilians are treated is fair enough for now, maybe give them a little more weight in score value

Were we to do this we'd probably need an urban mission bonus of at least a few points to compensate for doing a small amount of damage.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 06:56:34 pm »
Were we to do this we'd probably need an urban mission bonus of at least a few points to compensate for doing a small amount of damage.

the bonus is you get no penalties :) you know just doing your job, destroy the alien menace, and not the earth while at it ;)

or we can do a little adjustment,

if damage == 0 the pp += 10;

There that should do it :)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:15:50 pm »
I think what 54x is trying to say that in urban missions, there is almost no way of killing the aliens without doing a whole lot of collateral damage, much more so than in other terrains. so the mission itself should provide some kind of extra bonus - otherwise, you'll always end up with "terrible" ratings even if you save all civilians and kill all aliens.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 03:45:38 am »
well that is what happens when you destroy a whole village just to kill 3 aliens :P

Volutar

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 08:08:07 am »
So it would be more effective to skip mission and let aliens rape whole village, than complete mission with side-effect of destroying of couple of houses

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 10:25:03 am »
I think what 54x is trying to say that in urban missions, there is almost no way of killing the aliens without doing a whole lot of collateral damage, much more so than in other terrains. so the mission itself should provide some kind of extra bonus - otherwise, you'll always end up with "terrible" ratings even if you save all civilians and kill all aliens.

Actually I'm saying that doing a moderate should be roughly the same score as currently if all other performance measures are neutral, and doing no damage at all should reward MORE score. It's perfectly reasonable to do a little damage when ie. missing windows and the world governments would understand that. It might be a bit ridiculous to blaster bomb your way through an entire city, however, and managing to kill all the aliens while doing little to no property damage should actually increase your score, all other things equal.

This is one of those areas where it's rightly harder to score well on the strategic layer while maintaining all of your soldiers and equipment, when you're on the higher difficulty levels. :) If you picked Superhuman you did so for a reason, I hope! :D

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 05:30:48 pm »
I understand your point.

And to a degree I agree, maybe make the penalty less so that way you will have a better score even if you didn't destroy much of the area.
Or there can be a calculation to anticipate the max score, because we know with bigger ships you can get better scores.

at that time we can adjust the amounts of penalty applied.

damage 0%  = 10 performance points
damage 5%  = -2 performance points
damage 10%  = -5 performance points
damage 25%  = -10 performance points
damage 50%  = -25 performance points
damage 75%  = -50 performance points
damage 95%  = -75 performance points
damage 100%  = -100 performance points

or

damage 0%  = 50 performance points
damage 5%  = 10 performance points
damage 10%  = 5 performance points
damage 25%  = -10 performance points
damage 50%  = -25 performance points
damage 75%  = -50 performance points
damage 95%  = -75 performance points
damage 100%  = -100 performance points

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 03:38:46 pm »
hmmm... does this only apply to human-made structures or to all kind of terrain? if you burn down a part of a jungle, will you get the penalty?

also, do you still get penalty if it was the aliens who did the destruction? I'm thinking of terror mission where aliens shoot blaster bombs...?

Offline Nightwolf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 03:43:48 pm »
Well, you get negative point for Aliens shooting (killing) humans, so...

Anyway i think, the best way to give you more points or lesser, is how fast you did the mission and how much ammo you wasted.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 12:09:18 am »
hmmm... does this only apply to human-made structures or to all kind of terrain? if you burn down a part of a jungle, will you get the penalty?

also, do you still get penalty if it was the aliens who did the destruction? I'm thinking of terror mission where aliens shoot blaster bombs...?

I was figuring specifically urban missions and any damaged tile would subtract from your score- so if the aliens bring along launchers to their terror party, you pay the price if you don't take them out.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 05:02:43 am »
Well, you get negative point for Aliens shooting (killing) humans, so...

I agree with Nightwolf, or what i think he is implying, since is your fault that you didn't protect it, you should get negative points.

We are trying to protect the whole earth :P you can't just go around destroying the rainforest!!!! :)