Author Topic: About psi-attack...  (Read 4796 times)

Offline tempuser

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
About psi-attack...
« on: May 03, 2013, 10:45:46 pm »
As I recall, the original UFO psi-attack named "mind control" only worked in low morale, but in any case it reduced the unit's morale. If you did not manage to grab control, the low morale unit just panicked. If the unit has been "captured" and then "abandoned" it for 1-2 turns still panicking.

But in openxcom all wrong. Psi-attack "mind control" does not change the level of morality, but simply takes control units. That's all. If the unit to "let go", he remains cheerful and brave, with 100% of morality.  :(

Is it possible to redesign psi-attack as in the original UFO?

Volutar

Re: About psi-attack...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 01:27:39 am »
I don't know what "original UFO" you are talking about, but both https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Psionic_Equations and UFO:Defence (CE) itself have nothing similar to that you just described. If you are so sure about it, could you make some screen shots of this "psi-attack" effect from "original UFO"? Like making no "panic unit", and only MCing target, and mind probing each time after. To proove your point.
Until then, I prefer to think that it is some mysterious memory failing.

Offline LCSand

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:21:38 am »
mmhh so morale has absolutely no effect on psy?
I thought it worked differently.
Like a unit that was controlled before is easy to take control of again. And panic attack would soften a units defence for the MC attempt.
Never read the manual or did any real testing for it.
Maybe I just thought that morale ought to play some role in psy defence, so I was biased in my interpretation of events.

Volutar

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 09:28:41 am »
the original UFO psi-attack named "mind control" only worked in low morale, but in any case it reduced the unit's morale.
NO

mmhh so morale has absolutely no effect on psy?
WHAT??? How this can be understood?
MC chances depends on morale level. But not affect on them.

Offline LCSand

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 09:55:01 am »
WHAT??? How this can be understood?
MC chances depends on morale level. But not affect on them.
So what are you saying now?
The wikipage you posted makes no reference to morale in the formular. So I thought you said morale does not matter at all for psy.

I always thougt it does play some role while playing the game when I was younger. If it does not, then maybe I just thought it ought to play some role.

I am not saying that morale does affect psy, I am just saying I thought it did when I was younger.

And yes I think it would be a nice feature for a modder to add. (morale affecting psy defence, maybe attack too)

Volutar

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:39:59 am »
Oh. Right. Morale level doesn't affect on MC at all. Only distance matter, and psiSkill+psiStrength. And still, victim's morale didn't change because of MC. Ever.

You might be mimicing AI behaviour when you were younger. AI was panicking unit before trying to MC.

And another thing. When you have some of your soldiers MCed, and you killed aliens meanwhile, you'll get morale penalty for those MCed soldiers. And after they will return to you - you'll notice that morale loss. But that's not because of MC, that's because of the fact of "oh god, they killed my homies!" which was not so logical for humans when aliens was killed. But that's how original worked. And that was fixed for OpenXcom.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:48:21 am by Volutar »