Author Topic: Brutal-OXCE 8.3.4  (Read 20165 times)

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Brutal-OXCE 8.3.2
« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2024, 08:19:48 pm »
Is there a problem with v8.32 as it won't start-see attached.
It works for me. Have you tried a clean reinstall? Did it work with a prior version?

I've seen someone who tried to stream it run into similar issues. If you use a steam-installation of UFO, make sure to only copy the contents of the sub-folder "XCOM" into the "UFO" folder as opposed to the contents of "XCom UFO Defense".

Not sure it's the same issue. But that was the issue the streamer had.

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2024, 08:21:11 pm »
Is there a problem with v8.32 as it won't start-see attached.

I have no problems running the current BAI v8.3.2.  Have your tried running a clean game with no mods?  Did a previous version work and now this one doesn't? More details would be helpful.

Also I see you are running from a MS one-drive, not sure how that works for remote files and data syncing, but it would be a good test to try to run the files from a local file location.  What OS are you running? Windows? 10, 11? Have you updated the GPU drivers nVIdia or AMD, or are you running Intel CPU/GPU and ahve you installed the Intel GPU drivers?  Sometime generic default MS OS installed drivers have issues and you'd need to install dedicated GPU drivers.

From the looks you are getting a zip file load error? Specifically, the crash log you've shared indicates an issue with mapping common.zip twice, which looks like the game doesn't handle.

Recommend steps to try and resolve (Again I think the biggest two possible issues I see are the following):
0.) Check and see if you have the file `common.zip` in the game directory, do not setup the game with this file, rather use the default release format with a 'common' directory. 
1.) Make sure you have a clean game install with no extras
     -- Verify that some mod or custom setting isn't causing the problem.
2.) Verify that a previous version of the game works with the original DOS X-Com content
     -- If a previous version doesn't work then it's not a specific problem you are having for BAI v8.3.2
3.) Run it from a local file location, not on a remote share
     -- Sometimes during a data sync files get read twice
4.) Verify with the latest version BAI v8.3.2 that you are only using it's file structure and NOT OXCE file structure...
     -- OXCE has all it's share common data files combined into a single binary, BAI does not and places them in the directory as individual files.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 08:56:36 pm by 0xEBJC »

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2024, 08:22:57 pm »
It works for me. Have you tried a clean reinstall? Did it work with a prior version?

I've seen someone who tried to stream it run into similar issues. If you use a steam-installation of UFO, make sure to only copy the contents of the sub-folder "XCOM" into the "UFO" folder as opposed to the contents of "XCom UFO Defense".

Not sure it's the same issue. But that was the issue the streamer had.

Good point, I didn't consider an alternate version of the source DOS files from a steam license... I still have my OG DOS files from the 1990s :)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2024, 08:36:42 pm »
4.) Verify with the latest version BAI v8.3.2 that you are only using it's file structure and NOT OXCE+ file structure...
     -- OXCE+ has all it's share common data files combined into a single binary, BAI does not and places them in the directory as individual files.

OXCE+ does not exist since year 2018, please stop using that name and stop confusing everybody.

OXCE always had and still has the same file structure as OXC (and as BAI), both the installer and the zip archive contain common files in a directory as individual files.
(usage of common.zip is not default and completely optional)

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2024, 08:51:27 pm »
OXCE+ does not exist since year 2018, please stop using that name and stop confusing everybody.

OXCE always had and still has the same file structure as OXC (and as BAI), both the installer and the zip archive contain common files in a directory as individual files.
(usage of common.zip is not default and completely optional)

Got it, thanks, removed the references to the no longer version (OXCE+)

After looking at the files OXCE is like 26MB with I'm guessing all the *.dll files combined into the main exe, vs BAI that has all the *.dll as seperate files in the root of the game dir.

And I do see I do not have a common.zip file anywhere.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 23, 2024, 08:58:13 pm »
I suggest not calling the  DLLs common data files.

Common data files are the files in the "common" directory.

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 23, 2024, 09:02:44 pm »
A propose "common".
Could it be that the issue is that the user has both a "common.zip" and a "common" folder?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 23, 2024, 10:23:14 pm »
In such case OXCE loads one and ignores the other.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 23, 2024, 11:00:10 pm »
Don't know exactly why but a fresh install cleared the problem, v8.32 working now, thanks for the help.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Brutal-OXCE 8.3.3
« Reply #249 on: April 07, 2024, 08:39:31 am »
Is there any way to take this mod as a base, but disable all the main mod features?
I'll definitely try out the new ai, but for now I only want automated combat

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Brutal-OXCE 8.3.3
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2024, 02:35:19 pm »
Is there any way to take this mod as a base, but disable all the main mod features?
I'll definitely try out the new ai, but for now I only want automated combat
Yes, all features can be separately disabled. You can disable the brutal AI and enable auto-combat if you want.

Offline Dreams_Of_Cheese

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Brutal-OXCE 8.3.4
« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2024, 08:15:53 am »
This may not be the correct place to ask, but I'm curious to know if you have any interest in a stealth line of sight button? I find it really difficult to use stealth armors in the mods that include them because I don't have a clear idea how my character's visibility is being affected. It's especially noticeable in mods where enemy line of sight is extended, like XCF. Does it sound possible to use the same color-grading function to mark out where my character is visible/invisible?

Offline DSeyka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2024, 09:48:56 am »
What does CTRL button do when aiming at units? It shows some percentage value different from chance to hit, is it cover or something?
Edit: found my answer in https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=11928.0 TL;DR yes it is. ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 09:51:19 am by DSeyka »

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2024, 04:51:54 pm »
What does CTRL button do when aiming at units? It shows some percentage value different from chance to hit, is it cover or something?
Edit: found my answer in https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=11928.0 TL;DR yes it is. ;D
Yeah, it's exposure-percentage of the unit. This is basically multiplied with the normal hit-chance at that distance if realistic-accuracy is enabled.