aliens

Author Topic: Graphs notifications or improvement  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Graphs notifications or improvement
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 08:29:27 pm »
This is very spammy.

Also: When you switch from 2 back to 1 it keeps the color and number from 2. Even when starting a new game. I really don't think this is working as intended.

Offline Alpha Centauri Bear

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2024, 08:33:36 pm »
Option 2 is intended to be as spammy as possible. Switch to 1.

Didn't understand about keeping color and number from 2. This is the same palette and colors. The only difference is that 1 is less spammy.

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2024, 08:44:25 pm »
Option 2 is intended to be as spammy as possible. Switch to 1.

Didn't understand about keeping color and number from 2. This is the same palette and colors. The only difference is that 1 is less spammy.
Are you on discord? I don't want to spam the forums with screenshots.

Also I forgot to fetch origin after the latest merge, so I need to look again whether that changes something.

Edit: Yeah, the update actually fixed the issue of 1 looking like 2 after switching back from 2 to 1.

What I meant is:

When I used 2 for a while and then went to 1. It would show all pop-ups with the last "Sightings"-number shown while 2 was still active. I just didn't know that it was supposed to mean sightings yet. But as I said, it's fixed now.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 08:48:29 pm by Xilmi »

Offline krakp

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2024, 06:18:22 pm »
I am a total noob on openxcom, however I used to play Xcom a lot (and on my last "return" I actually developed a very dirty, debugger mode version of this exact feature).

I love it that someone decided to code it properly and with nice UI.

Now - could you help me with the installation steps to get this feature?

I just bought the XCOM from GOG, it works fine. Now - how do I add openxom, so that I have this feature? Is it the OXCE? Or a nightly? :-) Any tips welcome.

Merci and cheers!
krakp

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2024, 12:33:11 am »
Now - how do I add openxom, so that I have this feature? Is it the OXCE? Or a nightly? :-) Any tips welcome.
It's this one:

https://mod.io/g/openxcom/m/brutal-ai

Feature is enabled on Options=>Advanced=>BOXCE=>Geoscape=>Display hidden alien activity

Offline krakp

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2024, 01:08:40 am »
Brilliant - thank you :-).

Does this mod change the game in any significant way otherwise? What do I set to get the most vanilla experience (of course with bug fixes and maybe some convenience features, but nothing really to change the gameplay...)?

Thanks!

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2024, 07:00:39 am »
Xilmi, I see you added some OXC, OXCE, BOXCE buttons in settings. Are they just filters?

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2024, 10:47:33 am »
Xilmi, I see you added some OXC, OXCE, BOXCE buttons in settings. Are they just filters?
This was inherited from one of the recent OXCE-updates. I think Meridian made this change.
Previously the OXCE-options were all in a category called OXCE. So it wasn't clear what part of the game they'd impact.
Now they are in their own tab but with the correct categories.
Since the entire structure was changed I also kinda had to go with it and put all the options that are new with BOXCE in their own tab.
So yes, they are filters.

This definitely makes it easier to make it as vanilla as possible since it just means going to the BOXCE-tab and making sure all the options there are disabled.

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2024, 10:50:35 am »
Brilliant - thank you :-).

Does this mod change the game in any significant way otherwise? What do I set to get the most vanilla experience (of course with bug fixes and maybe some convenience features, but nothing really to change the gameplay...)?

Thanks!
Yes, by default this also enables my new AI. So in order t make it the most vanilla experience gameplay-wise you'll probably want to disable the "Brutal AI".
Of course I'd also appreciate if you gave the new AI a try and give some feedback about it. ;)

Offline krakp

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2024, 02:53:12 pm »
How do I set it all up? Are these UI config settings? Or some config files?

I would like to get a "warm-up" with the vanilla experience (but with the nice convenience features like radar coverage display, easier equipment distribution, etc). When I am "up to speed" again, I would probably go for the "Brutal AI" version  - and then of course share my feedback :-)

So what do I need to enable/disable to get there? :-)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2024, 03:47:48 pm »
This was inherited from one of the recent OXCE-updates. I think Meridian made this change.
Previously the OXCE-options were all in a category called OXCE. So it wasn't clear what part of the game they'd impact.
Now they are in their own tab but with the correct categories.
Since the entire structure was changed I also kinda had to go with it and put all the options that are new with BOXCE in their own tab.
So yes, they are filters.

This definitely makes it easier to make it as vanilla as possible since it just means going to the BOXCE-tab and making sure all the options there are disabled.

Is there a way to display them all without filtering for those who do not care filtering?

Offline Kozinsky

• Captain
  • Sorry for my bEd English
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2024, 04:54:44 pm »
How do I set it all up? Are these UI config settings? Or some config files?

I would like to get a "warm-up" with the vanilla experience (but with the nice convenience features like radar coverage display, easier equipment distribution, etc). When I am "up to speed" again, I would probably go for the "Brutal AI" version  - and then of course share my feedback :-)

So what do I need to enable/disable to get there? :-)

You should probably start by playing (or at least reading the description of) the regular OpenXCom Extended before you go to its more advanced version, which is Brutal-OXCE.
To do this, just download and run OXCE: [2] OXCE v7.11 download & installation guide.
Or, if you are going to play Brutal-OXCE, then disable the main "Brutal AI" setting.

Just to be clear:
OXC (OpenXCom) is a modern implementation of the XCom game with minimal changes and minor fixes.
OXCE (OpenXCom Extended) is a greatly expanded version of OXC, with many new features, bug fixes and user interface tweaks
BOXCE (Brutal OpenXCom Extended or Brutal AI) is an extended version of OXCE, with even more features and functionality added, as well as heavily redesigned and more complex AI behavior in ground battles.

Also, don't forget the huge number of mods (Released Mods) that utilize all (or almost all) of OXCE's new features. In most cases these mods will work with BOXCE as well, but some logic errors or funny situations may occur.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 05:05:05 pm by Kozinsky »

Offline krakp

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2024, 05:01:41 pm »
Is this feature (notifications based on activity graphs) available in the regular OpenXCom Extended? Or maybe in regular OpenXCom (unextended)? :)

Offline Kozinsky

• Captain
  • Sorry for my bEd English
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2024, 05:06:57 pm »
Is this feature (notifications based on activity graphs) available in the regular OpenXCom Extended? Or maybe in regular OpenXCom (unextended)? :)

Nope. This feature is present only in BOXCE.

Offline krakp

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2024, 06:14:15 pm »
WOW - looks like there is whole new world of XCOM awaiting me :-). A lot of things to try out/test/learn :-D. 

But for a start - if I wanted OpenXCom + the feature from this thread, is my understanding correct that I would need to:

1. install BOXCE on top of my original XCOM installation (that I bought from GOG)
2. Disable Brutal AI (is this enough to be back to "vanilla OXC"? or would I need to disable some more features?)
3. Enable the "UFO Activity Notification feature" (where would I find it?)

Does it sound right?

Then after I am a bit more up2speed I could get the fun of Brutal AI - is it possible to enable it "in the middle" of a game? Or do I need to start from 1999 with this on?