Author Topic: Better to start a new topic or continue an old or stale one on the same topic?  (Read 401 times)

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
I have a help request about some inventory questions...

I was wondering if it would be more likely answered, read, creating a new topic or adding it to an older post that is specifically discussing inventories?

My thought was to put it in the old discussion because then there's a more singular post about inventories?

Anyway I put my request in this discussion
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7981.0.html

If I should have started a new discussion please let me know, thanks!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Please continue in the old topic.
Splitting threads into "old" and "new" sometimes makes sense, for example on forums related to sport or music events, where timeframes are important. But for developing a game, not so much - it only makes a mess.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
I can only speak for myself.

If you are really going to talk/ask about the same topic, then continue the old one.
Otherwise, I would open a new one.

I can't guarantee reading/answering anything.
But I can almost guarantee NOT reading/answering anything that has any of the following qualities:

1. poor title... if I see something called "Inventory" or "a bug" or "smn hlp fr gd sk" or "thread for small questions"... I basically ignore it immediately, I don't even open it... if you want someone to spend time on your question and get a meaningful answer, you should at least show some respect by formulating your question clearly and make it search-friendly

2. a 6-page wall of X questions and Y requests in the same (single) post... also immediate ignore... I'm too lazy to spend 20+ minutes reading it and even lazier to spend 60+ minutes writing a concise answer... you have a MUCH higher chance of getting an answer from me following the rule: one post = one request and one post = one question (or several questions about the SAME thing)

3. this is specific to the oxce subforum: try to ask questions under "oxce support", report bugs under "oxce bug reports" and create requests under "oxce suggestions new"... if you post somewhere else I will probably miss it... especially the main oxce post should not be used for such things since it is practically impossible to find anything there... and I want people to be able to search for stuff that has been answered already 100 times...

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
OK, that's very helpful feedback.

Thank you both for your time and thoughts replying to my questions and supporting this community. I greatly appreciate it.