aliens

Author Topic: [DONE][Suggestion] Ability to hide research topics  (Read 1150 times)

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
[DONE][Suggestion] Ability to hide research topics
« on: December 11, 2023, 08:51:59 pm »
Request:
It would be nice to hide research similarly to hiding items in the purchase menu or manufacturing in the manufacture menu.

Reason:
Especially when playing X-Com Files when there are a lot of research available that is un-researched and I know it's nothing I ever intend to research it would be nice to hide those entries because it's very cumbersome to filter through what is important or not.

Suggestion:
right-click scrolls through "pink letters" new, "white letters" started, and "purple letters" hidden and with a way to view hidden research.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 09:07:35 pm by 0xEBJC »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Hide Research
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 11:28:55 pm »
Can someone confirm this?

Are there really some research topics in a mod that you don't want to research?

PS: even if there are, I'd prefer if you just ignored them or created a submod which removes them... adding engine support for something like that feels like heresy to me

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 12:05:12 am »
There are probably at least a hundred research topics in XCF which are extremely low priority (starting from all the 'acquisition' topics for all the junk weapons you're not going to acquire, but there are many more that don't progress the game or are not too useful), i.e., you will do them only when you have nothing else to do or with very small topics want to get some extra points from research. Hiding them from view (until you specifically want them back), so that you don't need to scroll through everything every time, might be helpful.

At least I have managed to survive otherwise. For example, marking the items as 'not new' and using the advanced sorting options and 'q' search makes going through the list less painful. Difficult to say how big QoL improvement it really would be to have this feature, and how big a bother it would be manage the hiding/unhiding.

Most of this you can already achieve by marking topics new/not new and showing only new topics. But this doesn't really work for those topics you need to research multiple times (i.e. interrogations). Being better able to better which prisoners are able to tell more is the main thing I feel is currently missing. You'll just have to pay attention and search for these.

BTW. what could be a more useful addition would be the ability in advanced sorting to sort by the research points granted (ie. to find those redundant topics which have a good points gained/research cost ratio).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 12:09:30 am by psavola »

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 01:01:09 am »

BTW. what could be a more useful addition would be the ability in advanced sorting to sort by the research points granted (ie. to find those redundant topics which have a good points gained/research cost ratio).

Thanks for the additional comment/insight on this, yeah, I've felt it painful many time in XCF for all the acquisition junk weapon stuff.

My understanding is that the research points gained is the value for researcher time, i.e. a research item with 20 takes 5 scientists 4 days to complete, i think that's the calculation works, and thee the awarded points are just the research time "20".  If that's the case then just sort by "cost" which is also sorting by research reward value... although it doesn't give you the value explicitly you know where to start if you want to research low or high value topics.

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 01:41:28 am »
My understanding is that the research points gained is the value for researcher time, i.e. a research item with 20 takes 5 scientists 4 days to complete, i think that's the calculation works, and thee the awarded points are just the research time "20".  If that's the case then just sort by "cost" which is also sorting by research reward value... although it doesn't give you the value explicitly you know where to start if you want to research low or high value topics.

Research costs (ruleset: 'cost') and points (ruleset: 'points') are defined separately. Some have much better 'cost-benefit' just looking at it from the points perspective than others.

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 02:28:47 am »
ah, thanks, I should have looked at the rul files :)

Online CrazedHarpooner

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 01:26:19 pm »
If I'm honest, I would say this is a problem the mod should solve itself, rather than provide "useless" research topics, make them have something worthwhile besides score points. Otherwise you're just stuffing the research tree for the sake of having more topics.

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 04:21:52 pm »
If I'm honest, I would say this is a problem the mod should solve itself, rather than provide "useless" research topics, make them have something worthwhile besides score points. Otherwise you're just stuffing the research tree for the sake of having more topics.

While I agree, I think that is the intent of X-Com Files in some ways.  I've found after playing unsuccessfully over iterations, that "I believe" it is intended to have to skip research junk in order to research the correct stuff fast enough to be successful.  The result is research everything the first time playing, learn what the junk is make it somewhat farther in the next play through by skipping a bunch of stuff, and if you don't complete the game, on the 3rd+ play through continue to skip the stuff that is superfluous, you know it in you head from previous playthroughs.  There is so much stuff that you get that is also mostly important that you can also use but don't need to research, like many of the weapons, if you get them, use them know what was "good" from the research in the previous playthroughs.  I still really like X-Com Files although I agree with your statement that I think there could be some refinement in research topics....

But again, I think that's the intent... you fail the game if you get distracted researching too much junk... like in a real life scenario... the aliens destroy you if you were not focused on the right things.

And, I haven't completed X-Com Files yet, but I think that you can research all the junk in late game when you have more bases and labs to complete it faster.... it 'JUST' fills up my research list way too much.

I understand if this isn't implemented, but it would be a really helpful added feature... the intent would be to unhide junk research later.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 01:05:26 pm »
Can someone confirm this?
Are there really some research topics in a mod that you don't want to research?
There could be one more possible solution for this: special click to gray-out text of a topic.
Right now LMB highlights topics, but also they get highlighted if clicked onto.
Gray-out, contrary, will make all this research poo (like 10 types of revolvers) at least not that eye-irritating. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 01:09:51 pm by Abyss »

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 10:17:51 pm »
There could be one more possible solution for this: special click to gray-out text of a topic.
Right now LMB highlights topics, but also they get highlighted if clicked onto.
Gray-out, contrary, will make all this research poo (like 10 types of revolvers) at least not that eye-irritating.

Yeah, this would meet the intent of the original request and possibly be the simplest to implement? 

For example, have a third color to highlight gray by right-clicking to cycle colors from 'pink' --> 'white' --> 'gray' --^ 'pink'
'pink' = new / unresearched
'white' = research started or clicked on etc...
'gray' = third color option to right click on (just to denote ..." I want to ignore for now ") and be able to tell the difference between all the other 'white' items.

Without this feature, I'm left with right clicking a ton of research to change to white which I wan't to ignore for now or maybe never research and it's really hard to tell between what I'm currently researching ( which shows up as a research option at other bases in white ) or research topics that can be completed multiple times like cult enemies. In X-Com Files I can have somewhere between 20-40 topics or more that I want to ignore.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 02:08:09 am by 0xEBJC »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 05:30:38 pm »
While I don't exactly share the opinion that XCF has too many items to research (I could easily have 3 times as many if I didn't limit myself for exactly this reason - to avoid bloating), I am in favour of an option to hide items from this list. Sounds like a reasonable idea, consistent with other lists.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [DONE][Suggestion] Ability to hide research topics
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 06:53:48 pm »
Suggestion:
right-click scrolls through "pink letters" new, "white letters" started, and "purple letters" hidden and with a way to view hidden research.

Done.

(needs mod option `enableNewResearchSorting: true` enabled: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)#Basescape.2FPersonnel)

https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/1820b9e6363381960f9354c699f24c211e3b20fd
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 06:58:36 pm by Meridian »

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 07:08:06 pm »
With the new version, the layering of research sorting/filtering box and the research topics also appears to also have been changed, ie. the menu is a kind-of transparent background on top of which the list of topics is drawn (this won't show up in Meridian's example screenshot, because the list there is so short). I guess this is intentional. There are arguments for either approach. After the initial surprise, the new one may be better.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 08:04:07 pm »