aliens

Author Topic: TFTD Based Hybrid options  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Daev

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
TFTD Based Hybrid options
« on: December 03, 2023, 09:29:01 pm »
In my mod "TFTD Vanilla Plus", I have used the fakeUnderwater tag as a "land" tag, this has worked very well for the most part. But upon further inspection, UFOs on land continue to use Depth and are not Airborne. other things such as this on globe and having to use "underwater" deployments can confuse people trying to develop land and underwater loadouts.

I was wondering if its possible to have the reverse option of fakeUnderwater, Like fakeSurface, that would denote all UFOs height to AIRBORNE, and would prevent certain xcom craft from engaging them and prevent Underwater only weapons from working on the "Surface:.

I am not sure how feasible it is to add both DEPTH and HEIGHT from both games, but that as well might add a some differentiation as well, requiring upgrades for higher altitudes and depths at the same time.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD Based Hybrid options
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 09:42:06 pm »
In my mod "TFTD Vanilla Plus", I have used the fakeUnderwater tag as a "land" tag, this has worked very well for the most part. But upon further inspection, UFOs on land continue to use Depth and are not Airborne.

The same issue is present today in hybrid mods based on UFO, isn't it?

other things such as this on globe and having to use "underwater" deployments can confuse people trying to develop land and underwater loadouts.

I don't understand.
"People" are modders or players?
What are "loadouts" in this sentence?

I was wondering if its possible to have the reverse option of fakeUnderwater, Like fakeSurface, that would denote all UFOs height to AIRBORNE, and would prevent certain xcom craft from engaging them and prevent Underwater only weapons from working on the "Surface:.

I am not sure how feasible it is to add both DEPTH and HEIGHT from both games, but that as well might add a some differentiation as well, requiring upgrades for higher altitudes and depths at the same time.

Adding "fakeUnderwater" was a LOT of effort.
Adding "fakeSurface" will be even more effort, which I simply cannot justify.
Modders, who want to do hybrid modding should use UFO as the base game.

Having said that, if the "height vs depth" issue is present also in UFO-based hybrid mods (which I think it is, because I don't remember implementing anything special)... I can try improving it somehow... not promising anything tho.

Offline Daev

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 10:01:22 pm »
I don't understand.
"People" are modders or players?
What are "loadouts" in this sentence?

I mean alienDeployments, as the surface missions us the _UNDERWATER tag, i feel that could confuse those who wish to make submods, but that is a very small point but it came to mind.

Adding "fakeUnderwater" was a LOT of effort.
Adding "fakeSurface" will be even more effort, which I simply cannot justify.
Modders, who want to do hybrid modding should use UFO as the base game.

I did not know that, and i understand that completely, i have found workarounds for features i would like to implement, so it has not been a hinderance.

Having said that, if the "height vs depth" issue is present also in UFO-based hybrid mods (which I think it is, because I don't remember implementing anything special)... I can try improving it somehow... not promising anything tho.

That is really the only issue i am running into, as "Underwater Only" Craft weapons do not work on AIRBORNE ufos in TFTD, so if there is a way to maybe denote maximum and minimum altitudes for terrain IDs maybe, taht would solve that issue.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 10:35:22 pm »
That is really the only issue i am running into, as "Underwater Only" Craft weapons do not work on AIRBORNE ufos in TFTD, so if there is a way to maybe denote maximum and minimum altitudes for terrain IDs maybe, taht would solve that issue.

OK, I will focus on this part then.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 04:15:57 pm »
Question: why are you using "maxDepth" instead of "maxAltitude" ?

"maxDepth" doesn't exist, and doesn't do anything

Offline Daev

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 07:46:41 pm »
Question: why are you using "maxDepth" instead of "maxAltitude" ?

"maxDepth" doesn't exist, and doesn't do anything

I do not recall using maxDepth in my current mod, if I do it would have to been taken directly from the original rulesets, as i copy/pasted them. i will look into this soon, before my next update is created.

I also may have used those terms interchangeably by mistake in the thread.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 09:07:58 pm »
It's in crafts_EA.rul.

This attribute was removed from vanilla ruleset in November 2016: https://github.com/OpenXcom/OpenXcom/commit/d5d3127e49203004463f6c89d0720b1cd3f6f7b1

Anyway, I checked the code vs your requirements, it is going to be tricky to implement, but should be possible.
It will take a while though (optimistically in January 2024).