Author Topic: Where are the files located for strength of weapon ?  (Read 910 times)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
Where are the files located for strength of weapon ?
« on: October 29, 2023, 07:50:02 pm »
I hope I'm asking this correctly. I've looked in resources files, every where. I can see where I can change say a plasma gun from being 60 damage to 80.
Thank you.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the files located for strength of weapon ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 08:28:17 pm »
I hope I'm asking this correctly. I've looked in resources files, every where. I can see where I can change say a plasma gun from being 60 damage to 80.
Thank you.

Depends on the mod - I assume you're not trying to modify the vanilla. Look for 'power' ruleset, usually under the clips. for example in XCF items_XCOMFILES.rul and there STR_PLASMA_PISTOL_CLIP.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 08:50:43 pm »
Regardless of mod, weapon parameters are under "items:". Doesn't matter which .rul file it is.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 08:22:10 pm »
Depends on the mod - I assume you're not trying to modify the vanilla. Look for 'power' ruleset, usually under the clips. for example in XCF items_XCOMFILES.rul and there STR_PLASMA_PISTOL_CLIP.

It was exactly where you said it was. Thank you.

Regardless of mod, weapon parameters are under "items:". Doesn't matter which .rul file it is.

This very helpful to know. thanks Solarius.

One of my favorite weapons in the XCF game is the X Com plasma gun. I just find the grenade launcher to be a bit cumbersome (pertaining to it's power only being 60). I'd like to bring it up to 90 similar to a plasma grenade.

I'm not going to question your reasoning why it is only 60 because I already know that answer, X Com plasma has 4 shots instead of 3. it's already tilting the balance, so 60 damage seems very reasonable to me.

I just find by this point in the game which you are able to get your hands on this weapon, 60 damage does nothing to the enemies your fighting so I don't even really use it. But I'd like to, it's an amazing idea, great weapon.

Thanks again for your input.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 08:25:44 pm »
I should also add, I never modded a game in my life. It was the pure cruelty of XCF that inspired me  ;D
Seriously. I've used Notepad before but once I started modding the saved game files, it has inspired me to learn more. This has been a very fun experience.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 03:31:43 am »
Changing the grenade on the X Com plasma to 90 has been a charm. I love this weapon now. The grenades are now useful for opening up small wooden structures, etc. and don't throw off the balance too bad. Yes will kill a chaser but a muton, Gazzer, Ethereal not even stuns them.

I have been keeping backups of my ruleset files, etc. and editing the actual file, then copy/replace.
I haven't yet learned how to make a mod using metadata ?

How do I got about learning how to make a mod ? or can someone point me in the direction ?

Thank you for all your help and an awesome game.