Author Topic: Surrendering cultists  (Read 442 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Surrendering cultists
« on: October 14, 2023, 06:18:49 am »
Whether cult units are able to surrender appears to be somewhat inconsistent. Some of these might be intentional but I suspect for some units this might be an omission. Not taking into account various armored cars:

Every EXALT cult unit (including the Brainer) is able to surrender.

Every Red Dawn cult unit is able to surrender (including the hybrid envoys in the HQ).

Out of Black Lotus units, only the avatar and assassins cannot surrender.

Out of Dagon units, only the disciples can surrender. That is, priests, chosen and sorcerers cannot. Likewise, the alien units gilldogs, deep ones and gillmen cannot surrender.

As said, these might be intentional and there might be lore reasons why some units always fight or flee with zeal to the end. Unfortunately this quite often leads to annoying bug hunts, especially with the BL assassins. Also trying to find the last gillman terrorist(s) for example in the HQ mission, after everyone else has been killed off, often leads to casualties.

I'd suggest adding canSurrender:true to at least BL assassins, and also at least some Dagon human units. This would significantly increase the gameplay experience without detrimental effects (I don't think this would provide a too easy path to obtain a BL assassin for questioning in order to get the martial arts path; you could always capture one with tasers anyway).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 06:22:31 am by psavola »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Surrendering cultists
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 01:57:20 pm »
I'd wager that most if not all of these are intentional and lore-related, especially with the church of dagon units.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Surrendering cultists
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 03:36:00 pm »
I'd support moving Brainers to the never-surrender category and Dagon Priests to cowards. Brainers are real freaks closer to alien than human but, as I see it, Priests are much closer to regular gilly hillbillies than to the hybrid monsters that are the Chosen and the Sorcerers.

Underwater aliens come under the general "aliens don't surrender to humans" thing that seems to be going on, I think.

Assassins would also be majorly nerfed this way, if you could just wait them out instead of going in and dealing with them, even if it results in some annoying missions.

Inconvenience to the player is an unfortunate side effect, but it's not as if the mod isn't full of similar stuff already. :-\