aliens

Author Topic: Dogs can't bite enemies  (Read 862 times)

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Dogs can't bite enemies
« on: August 15, 2023, 02:08:04 am »
for some reason, I keep getting situations where dogs are adjacent to an enemy, but when they try to bite it says "There's no one there." any idea why that is?

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs can't bite enemies
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 06:10:57 am »
This can happen at least in Osiron Beach missions, where the grass is too tall for the dogs. See my report on this: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5047.msg156509.html#msg156509

SS was stumped on how to fix it, though there was a suggestion in the thread (modifying LOFTs of grass). He didn't comment on that.

So, try pressing F10, which saves FPS look of the dog in an image in you save folder. Then take a look which obstacles are in the way. It could very well be a bug in the terrain.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 11:28:00 am »
SS was stumped on how to fix it, though there was a suggestion in the thread (modifying LOFTs of grass). He didn't comment on that.

I am still stumped. :) Editing the grass' LOFTs would make tall grass kind of meaningless, since the difference will only be visual.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 11:49:49 am »
I am still stumped. :) Editing the grass' LOFTs would make tall grass kind of meaningless, since the difference will only be visual.

Is the main grass in beach missions meant to be really that tall grass? Like at least 50 cm in height as it appears to be in the FPS look (making some assumptions as to the height of dogs)? Visually it doesn't look like it, and having so long grass everywhere around all the houses (where people are also expected to walk around) would make no sense at all.

Just think about it. It makes no sense for grass in those missions and locations to be taller than, say 5 cm or at most 10 cm. And such grass should not prevent dogs from attacking.

So it seems to me that a very obvious fix is to reduce LOFTs so that for example regular-looking grass or lawn areas are not actually unnatural in height.

If grass is overgrown to 5 cm or 10 cm in height, sure, it could be a bit slower to move there (1 or 2 more TU per square?) but that's it.

But if you want some areas to be really tall, there should be some logical reason for it and it should show in the visual.

On the other hand, certain fields certainly visually could have tall growth, tall enough to hamper dogs and even agents (I'm now thinking of the original X-Files movie where they run through the corn fields..). I haven't tested what LOFTs there are and whether this also affects the fields.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 12:06:34 pm »
I don't know, that's how the TFTD people did it... Then again, they made a lot of questionable decisions, mostly due to time constraints.

Let's have this idea simmer for a little.

EDIT: I examined the gras closely, and the LOFTs indeed seemed a bit too tall compared to visuals... So I decreased them by 1 level. But that's the limit, anything less would be cheaty.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 12:23:46 pm by Solarius Scorch »