aliens

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Minimum throw distance  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Minimum throw distance
« on: August 10, 2023, 06:30:47 pm »
There are "throwRange" and "underwaterThrowRange" parameters to control the maximum throw distance. Need the same parameter to define the minimum distance "minThrowRange" and work on the same principle.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum throw distance
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 07:56:00 pm »
There are "throwRange" and "underwaterThrowRange" parameters to control the maximum throw distance. Need the same parameter to define the minimum distance "minThrowRange" and work on the same principle.

Hmm? I can't figure out why you couldn't toss (underhand) an object only a couple of meters. That should be rather simple, in fact, even for a completely untrained person.

OTOH, I could see an argument that some other arcing weapons such as grenade launchers might be unwieldy in close quarters. But the rulesets already allow to define a minimum distance (minRange) which decreases accuracy.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 11:37:30 pm »
Underhand - you can just put a charged grenade on the ground. But to throw - well, try to throw something in close combat with the enemy. He will let you wave your hands? Yes, and an experienced fighter wouldn’t even think of it - to throw something when you can just hit the enemy on the head. However, the aliens regularly throw grenades up close, even when there are melee weapons, which is what needs to be corrected.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 02:42:17 am »
That's an AI issue, not an item issue...

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 07:48:17 am »
Not only. There are grenades of different classes "SMOKE_GRENADE", "PROXIMITY_GRENADE" and "HIGH_EXPLOSIVE". For example -

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_SMOKE_GRENADE
    minThrowRange: 1
  - type: STR_GRENADE
    minThrowRange: 2
  - type: STR_ALIEN_GRENADE
    minThrowRange: 3
  - type: STR_PROXIMITY_GRENADE
    minThrowRange: 3
  - type: STR_HIGH_EXPLOSIVE
    minThrowRange: 5

I need a limiter not for AI, from which grenades can simply be taken away, but to designate the class of grenades and complicate the throwing of grenades on the upper floors of the UFO through the elevator.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 07:54:03 am by Ethereal »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 02:52:50 pm »
Despite having read the thread, I don't understand this request at all. What is it for?

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 03:00:11 pm »
Despite having read the thread, I don't understand this request at all. What is it for?

For the same purpose as "throwRange". It's just logical, having restrictions on the maximum range, to be able to limit the minimum as well. For small arms, such restrictions have long existed and should be for grenades.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 03:07:54 pm »
For the same purpose as "throwRange". It's just logical, having restrictions on the maximum range, to be able to limit the minimum as well.

Name a single logical thing about it.
It's probably the most absurd idea I've ever heard related to OXC mechanics. But perhaps I'm missing some non-trivial usage.

For small arms, such restrictions have long existed and should be for grenades.

Yeah, because you totally can't throw with less force. That's how the world works.

Look, I'm not here to make fun of this concept, I just haven't seen a single reason why.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 03:45:39 pm »
Okay, I'll write in detail.
1) Limit the ability to throw grenades through elevators, both for the player and for the AI.
2) Stimulate more frequent use of edged weapons.
3) Prevent the use of grenades point-blank.

By the way, for small arms there is such an option "closeQuartersMultiplier", which does not work for grenades. And very sorry. If it were possible to block not only shots, but also throwing and even the activation of grenades - as an alternative, that would suit me.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 04:29:44 pm »
None of these look like the sort of legitimate use cases Solarius asked for.

Elevators can already be blocked off from missiles - TFTD alien city elevators come to mind as an example. Never mind that I fail to see what's so useful about this idea.

More frequent use of melee weapons can be encouraged by making those weapons more attractive/powerful, or replacing (some) AI grenades with melee weapons. Or other balancing methods.

There is no 'realistic' reason I can see why one can't use a grenade at point blank range. Just don't grip the lever, grenade will go boom. Or shove the other guy with one hand/shoulder while covering your grenade-dropping/rolling with your body and doing it with the other hand. It's miles easier than hitting the enemy at the same range with a melee weapon or even a handgun. Your oppisition needs to be much bigger, possess eight hands or something like that to actually have a chance to counter that.

CQB is supposed to simulate 'gun kata'-esque dodging, shoving the barrel slightly offline, etc. None of that really helps against an exploding grenade that's omnidirectional and lethal to at least about 5 metres out. And doesn't really have the initial velocity to go awry in the same manner as a bullet or other projectile fired from a gun does.

I might, of course, be missing something here. If so, do give an example.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 04:34:02 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 04:36:29 pm »
My views are similar to Juku's, but at least now I get where you're coming from.

About closeQuartersMultiplier: I think it's a valid idea. I bit on the weird side, but potentially useful.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 04:49:08 pm »
Throwing triggering CQC is good idea (maybe even priming could trigger it too?), if enemy can try grab your gun when you try shoot, then why not try grab your grenade?

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 05:29:12 pm »
Now I like the idea of CQC even more. Only blocking is not for throwing, but for priming. That is, in case of success in defense, -TU (and all others) are consumed, but the grenade is not activated. At the same time, can also make a special sound for such cases ... but that's later. :)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 05:45:45 pm »
From a 'realimsm' POV, how exactly do you prevent priming? Okay, something with a complex timed fuse, maybe. But if you can prevent them from pulling the pin, you can also prevent them from pulling the trigger, and CQC doesn't really allow one to do that with guns.

If you grab the grenade, congrats, now you are both gripping a live grenade. How is that an improvement?

I suppose CQB preventing the throw by making the other side fumble it and the grenade goes a short distance to one side or just gets dropped at both parties' feet, that might be believable.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2023, 05:55:31 pm »
I suppose CQB preventing the throw by making the other side fumble it and the grenade goes a short distance to one side or just gets dropped at both parties' feet, that might be believable.

No, this way it doesn't make any sense. An explosion will follow in any case, and it is precisely this that must be avoided.

On the other hand, if it’s wise, then the grenade should fly off with a 1-2 timer (without an instant explosion), so that there would be time to pick it up and throw it away. But no, it's still not good.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 06:03:54 pm by Ethereal »