Author Topic: Underwater weapons  (Read 729 times)

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Underwater weapons
« on: August 08, 2023, 08:44:13 am »
What sort of underwater weapons do you like? Also, why can't dynamite or high explosives work underwater? IRL there would be nothing preventing them from doing so, or even being used in space.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 10:01:28 am »
Modded dart guns, stun sticks, battleaxes.

I imagine the thing with underwater or vacuum TNT is that a) you need to protect the fuses/timers/other fiddly bits from the environment and b) the effects are somewhat different than on land, necessitating a modified item for each environment.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 10:33:03 am »
The underwater missions are relatively easy so this won't matter all that much. In early game, ADS (against deep ones and gilldogs) or Gas Cannon with AP clips. Landmines in the early game. You get some sonic later (I used blasta rifle in my previous game), but I suppose you might be able to skip sonic completely as well. Once you progress in the underwater arch, and missions with more cover, melee weapons (for example katanas, battle axes, tritanium knives, stun rods if you need a capture) have been my primary weapons. Underwater missions are also a good use for training PSK (dagon's staff) on closer range.

Offline Raptor29a

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 12:03:19 pm »
Technically, TNT probably wouldn't damage Lobstermen, the hard shell would resist the consussive force. Also in water the consussive force would travel further making the the TNT impractical, too much friendly fire. The ability to throw underwater is decreased, so the chance of blowing yourself up is greater. Concussive force travels futher in water than air.
Part of me still doesn't understamd why gauss weapons don't work underwater. The projectile is a metal rod like a harpoon
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 12:06:31 pm by Raptor29a »