Author Topic: Open XCom Extended turns off System Sound  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Aidan Pryde

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Open XCom Extended turns off System Sound
« on: July 02, 2023, 07:13:22 pm »
Hi.

This will probably sound really weird. But let me explain.

I have this Issue since I use Open XCom Extended and only with this Game, no other games do this. And it happens since a few years actually, I was just never really bothered to write here. So it persists over several Release versions.

I am not sure if it is OXCE or the XCom Files Mod, because I only use those two together. I've installed both fresh today since I had some time till my next game comes out, so I thought, hey, XCom Files had a new release today, why not.

OpenXcom Version: Extended 7.9.6 (v2023-05-21)

Active mods:
x-com-files v3.0
dark-geoscape v1.0

Filename: openxcom_xfiles_3.0.1-f48a.zip
Version: 3.0.1
Added: 2. Juli 2023

And somehow, in the middle of the game, it always happens in Geoscape, the Sound for the whole PC just turns off. Not lowered or anything, not changing to a different Sound Device, just... off... Like.. poof gone and only a System Restart can fix it.

There was no other thing using sound at that time, no browser window running sound or anything.

Is there a Way I can log that and give more info? Is that a known thing (probably not i guess)? What Info would be good/required to have?

Should I put this in the Bug Tracker? I thought I'd ask first if it's known and if there's a fix.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Open XCom Extended turns off System Sound
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 08:52:43 pm »
No idea what it could be.

Is there a Way I can log that and give more info?

Maybe in the openxcom.log file there is something, but it's a big maybe.

Is that a known thing (probably not i guess)? What Info would be good/required to have?

It's not a known thing.

Should I put this in the Bug Tracker? I thought I'd ask first if it's known and if there's a fix.

You can put it in the bug tracker... but if nobody can reproduce it, it's gonna just sit and rot there :/

Offline Aidan Pryde

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 08:59:22 pm »
No idea what it could be.

Maybe in the openxcom.log file there is something, but it's a big maybe.

It's not a known thing.

You can put it in the bug tracker... but if nobody can reproduce it, it's gonna just sit and rot there :/

Yeah, that's what i thought, no worries. When it happens again I'll take a look at the log and the event viewer. If I see anything out of the ordinary I'll put it in the Bug Tracker. Thanks. :)

Offline Aidan Pryde

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 01:03:02 am »
Ok, so it happened again.

There is nothing in the openxcom.log and there is also nothing in eventviewer.

But this time I tried what I didn't do before. I went into the hardware monitor, deactivated the soundcard and then reactivated it and that did the trick. No idea what causes it though. Ah well, at least I got around a System Restart.

So, just in case anyone else should have such a Problem, try that first. :)