Author Topic: Is it safe to update mid game?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline grifflw

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Is it safe to update mid game?
« on: May 26, 2023, 07:05:01 pm »
Hi, I started an LP of this game a while ago, about half a year ago at this point. And the version of the game I'm working with is Version 2.5. I would like to update to the newer version, but I don't want to break anything. Is it safe to do so? Or should I try and finish it out in version 2.5?

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Is it safe to update mid game?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 07:18:15 pm »
It's safe to update on geoscape. You'd have to update OXCE too, though.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 08:56:39 pm »
Every time there is some complication during update (which is not often) I specifically mention it. So it's totally safe to go from 2.8 to 2.9.

In fact, 3.0 (currently GitHub only) is also fine.

Offline grifflw

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 09:21:13 pm »
Well, that's good but. I am going from 2.5 to 2.9. So I'm hoping that's not too much of a drastic change for it. I guess there's nothing to do but go for it. Maybe after making a copy of everything in case I have to revert for some reason

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 11:40:49 am »
Well, that's good but. I am going from 2.5 to 2.9. So I'm hoping that's not too much of a drastic change for it. I guess there's nothing to do but go for it. Maybe after making a copy of everything in case I have to revert for some reason

Honestly I can't remember for sure. I'd advise checking all my announcing posts for every version starting with 2.6 and checking if it has any remarks. I don't think anything really bad would happen, besides perhaps losing some stuff (I sort of remember there were changes done to laser sniper rifles, so that might be lost).

Also, I recommend getting the WIP 3.0 version, especially if your campaign is advanced.

Offline grifflw

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 04:37:02 am »
Okay, I updated everything and it went off without a hitch. There was some weirdness like my interceptor being equipped with light missiles and the Human Sacrifices shifting position but, those are all solved quite easily

Everything is looking good, thanks for putting up with my shenanigans

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 05:11:19 am »
Speaking of which, is it intentional that you can't do anything with human sacrifices except sell them? They are not researchable like almost everything else is,  and they just clutter the prisons. Based on the sprites it's not even obvious if those are actually meant to be live humans intended to be sacrificed or already sacrificed corpses.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2023, 12:55:16 pm »
Speaking of which, is it intentional that you can't do anything with human sacrifices except sell them? They are not researchable like almost everything else is,  and they just clutter the prisons. Based on the sprites it's not even obvious if those are actually meant to be live humans intended to be sacrificed or already sacrificed corpses.

Yes, they're very much alive. I guess I'll have to add some article or something.