Author Topic: How to Capture an Alien  (Read 985 times)

Offline nickboom

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
How to Capture an Alien
« on: March 26, 2023, 08:13:30 am »
Howdy! Stopping by again as I've gotten deeper in my game, all the cults are dealt with now and its nearing 1999. I'm in a good position to fend off the early days I think and have been able to take down a few scout class ufos. However, when it comes to capturing aliens, my poor electric clubs aren't cutting it anymore. I was thinking of upgrading to an electric prod/stun spear (in backpack once ready to breach) but I was curious as to what early game means y'all use to capture aliens.

Also, any recommendations for close range weapons? So far I've found that the smart magnums are absolutely delectable when it comes to a one-handed weapon but I'm curious if anything else is useful. I thought about using the pulse weapons since they're stated to do a lot of extra damage but considering almost everything now is armored to the point of only higher than average shots or snipers punching through, I feel like they wouldn't be super worthwhile.

Finally, if someone wouldn't mind, spoil what sort of damages ghosts are weak to? They said anything physical but I found that cutting works surprising well so I wanna just know.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Capture an Alien
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 11:29:25 am »
Well, early on it's various stun sticks and tasers. BIG tasers, if necessary. There's a thread about stun weapons as well.

BO SMG is a nice one-handed close-up weapon. Magnums are more of a longer-range sidearm, and that's a somewhat useless niche since you want to use your big gun for long range fights.

If you want the ultimate close-range weapon, use the miniguns. :D Threshers are neat against less armoured enemies.

Ghosts take a lot of damage from psychic weapons, like the ones the ghost cultists have. Otherwise, lasers, tasers, EMP perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 11:30:58 am by Juku121 »

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: How to Capture an Alien
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 05:47:47 am »
For inside of the UFO, just clubs or even punches for most ayys. I use dog's bark on the ayy beforehand so it won't retaliate. For outside-ufo flimsy aliens (like sectoids), gas grenades, regular or from tac launcher. It usually takes 3 gas grenades per sectoid. Stronger aliens - don't bother.