Author Topic: [Submod] Stealth armours  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
[Submod] Stealth armours
« on: March 01, 2023, 12:20:30 am »
Updated for the upcoming XCF 3.3!

I really hope the submod is more or less in working condition now, big thanks to HinterDemGlas.

The recent discussion about stealth armours and especially SIMON posting an old stealth armour mod made me dust off my own spin on it. So I made a little submod with one somewhat rat-obsoleting starter night camo suit and another, really OP lategame invisibility armour.

Should work with 2.8 and maybe a little further, but armour modding is fiddly enough that the submod can easily become obsolete. And I doubt I'm going to maintain this much.

No credits claimed. Credits given to Robin for the Stealth Suit base, Solarius for XCF and whoever made the ninja suit and visor in the first place. I certainly didn't, though I tweaked it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 03:40:43 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [Submod] Stealth armours
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 11:45:05 am »
Cool!

Could you please mention what are the camo values?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 11:49:12 am »
Black Ops Suit: camouflageAtDay 30, camouflageAtDark -6 (a lot, but that's pretty much the only thing this armour does that isn't done better by something else; rats are -7).

Stealth Suit: I was not kidding when I said it's OP. You're basically invisible and intangible: camouflageAtDay 1, camouflageAtDark 1, loftempsSet [ 85 ].

This is really more of a proof-of-concept submod rather than a balanced one.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 12:04:41 pm »
OK, gotcha!

Actually, I can reconsider adding some late game outfit like this (how late is hard to say, but basically when the aliens become the dominant problem), however it would also require adding anticamo to a lot of units, and I'm worried it would muddle things up for the player.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 12:19:02 pm »
If you look at the requirements, the Stealth Suit is also really hard to acquire. More research and resources than any other armour, plus a live Ethereal Sentinel per suit.

About anticamo, I think an easier and more interesting way would be to include a psi-vision unit in those alien missions that aren't too much part of the grind. An Ethereal or Sectoid overseer, or perhaps integrate some kind of 'sensor' unit with lots of psi-vision into bigger UFOs and bases. I mean, they've got to have some sensor tech in those UFOs, right?

Not that I'm against anticamo as such. But it's tougher to get right, as you said.

I think my idea here is that the player should get to feel powerful against a subset of enemies, eventually. But definitely not all enemies.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 12:21:05 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 12:27:14 pm »
It all sounds sensible.

For now, I buffed Sectoid Commander's psi vision from 16 (same as the Leader) to 20. :)

Offline varajo411

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 08:05:05 pm »
Can you make the stealth armor work on infernalism and spartan characters?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 01:17:58 am »
Try this. I couldn't get scripting to work for the submod, so hybrid shields and flashbang resistances are borked. Too tired to figure it out right now.

Starting conditions and underwater armour transformations might not work, either. Didn't really test anything beyond basic "can I put it on, is it invisible, does it give armour/resistances?".

If someone checks it out, reports issues and I manage to debug it enough, I'll update the OP.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 01:20:04 am by Juku121 »

Offline varajo411

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2023, 07:30:27 pm »
This might be a bit of a tall order but can you make the stealth armours compatible with Natasha Morozova join (for X-Com Files) sub mod. it is a mod that adds unique charachters to the game: some with special abilities.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 08:12:00 pm »
Well, I have no real familiarity with that mod, nor any desire to acquire it, but I can make the armours wearable and put 'arnie' into the Kyberos box and the rest as normal humans. Don't know if that's enough, the mod looks a bit messy.

Needs to go below both mods, I think.

Offline varajo411

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 12:11:23 am »
Arnold is weak, he can only carry 18, while the stealth armor is 12: So there is just 6 weight that he can carry into battle. In the natasha morozova join mod arnold has several armor types that add stats to him to be able to function better. Apart from this the mod works very well. I am also impressed you were able to get this to work so quickly. I imagined it would take longer.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 12:13:10 am by varajo411 »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 12:34:45 am »
I mean, Arnold can't really wear other normal armours at all, right? Maybe I should also take away the stealth suits... :)

All this distinction does is give him a little more stun recovery and less overstun while making him a bit more vulnerable to EMP, just like a normal Kyberos.

I'm not going to build a special suit for him, he'll have to live with what he has.

And, well, I just copied over a few lines from the mod's own vanilla armour compatibility section. No real work at all.

Offline varajo411

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 10:51:28 am »
Yes. Take away the stealth suit for Arnold. I tried it yesterday. The stealth suit is OP as the mutons did not see me despite being very close quater fighting in an ufo.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2023, 11:14:09 am »
I mean, the stealth suit is totally OP for everyone. It's not just nearly total invisibility, it's also intangibility (bullets mostly fly through, can't be meleed, etc).

What makes it worse for Arnold? He doesn't get his stat boosts, either.

Offline varajo411

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 01:04:41 pm »
Cool. I did not know how OP it was. As for Arnold he lack the stat boost from the armor so he preformance in the mission is naturally worse.