aliens

Author Topic: Where are the ruleset?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Zeta Reticulan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Where are the ruleset?
« on: February 07, 2023, 07:30:04 pm »
Hello. I'm trying to learn to mod, and my first attempt will be to modify the stats of the small rockets. However, for the life of me, I can not find the ruleset file for the small rockets, or any ruleset files. I did a search and it said they are in the data folder, but that folder does not exist. I am playing the steam version with openxcom extended. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the ruleset?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 01:30:57 am »
It is possible that steam has them as a hidden file, have you tried allowing your file browser to display hidden files & folders?

I'm not sure about where steam would store the files but if you are looking for the .rul files the base game uses for its small rockets you need to look in your OpenXcom Extended directory. The path should be something like this:
/OXCE/standard/xcom1/items.rul

Do not save changes to that items.rul file, these are the base games files and should not be altered.

Instead create a mod with your own .rul file(s) and place it in the following folder:
/OXCE/user/mods/YourModsName/

The /user/mods/ folders may not exist inside the OXCE folder, in which case you can create them just be adding those folders yourself.

I found an old Steam forum post that suggested you may find the place steam stores game files in this location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common

The post was from 2015 though so they may have changed their storage location since then.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 01:40:20 am by The Martian »

Offline Zeta Reticulan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 02:24:40 am »
Hi Martian,
I have checked all of those folders and still don't see them even with the "show hidden files" option selected. I just want to see the .rul files so I'll have a reference for creating my own. I think I have a working mod created now, but now having trouble trying to figure out how to change the name of the "small rocket" to "HEAT Rocket" in the "equip craft", and the "Purchase/Recruit" menu.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 02:55:15 am by Zeta Reticulan »

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 03:02:44 am »
Try downloading one of these files and the .rul files will be inside /standard/xcom1/ when you unpack it:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html

To alter the name of "Small Rocket" to "HEAT Rocket" you need to alter the extraStrings: section.

Each language has its own file and they are stored in the /standard/xcom1/Language/ folder.

For example en-US.yml is english in that folder.

In one of your mod's .rul files add a section to your code that looks something like this and the name of the Small Rocket item will change:

Code: [Select]
extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:
      STR_SMALL_ROCKET: "HEAT Rocket"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 03:23:02 am by The Martian »

Offline Zeta Reticulan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 04:25:25 am »
That worked! Thanks a lot, Martian! I'll be uploading my mod soon.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 04:26:40 pm »
Solid advice from the Martian.
I have been making changes and pasting them over the original rule set files, however I always keep a back up.

Looks like i need to do what Martian was explaining, create a mod and place it in a spot which is seen by the base files.