aliens

Author Topic: Non-Steam Game in Steam Library with Custom Artwork  (Read 3050 times)

Offline WarStalkeR

• Sergeant
  • Repensum Est Canicula
    • View Profile
Non-Steam Game in Steam Library with Custom Artwork
« on: July 14, 2023, 03:43:04 pm »
If you're reading this post, I'm pretty sure you want to make it so that everyone from your friend list in Steam knows that you're playing X-Piratez and having a blast. This post will contain all the instructions required to add X-Piratez to your Steam Library (as non-Steam game of course) with custom artwork (so you can brag about it to your friends about how nice it looks).

Instructions Themselves:
  • Steam Windows Top Bar: Games → Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library...
  • In "Add Non-Steam Game" Window: Browser → Navigate to "OpenXcom" folder and select "OpenXcomEx.exe" file.
  • You will return back to "Add Non-Steam Game" window: Just click "Add Selected Program" button.
  • Find in your Library "OpenXcomEx" → Right Mouse Button Click (on it) → Properties...
  • In open window, at the top row replace "OpenXcomEx" with "X-Piratez" and just close the window (via X button).
  • Launch it once and exit, so it will appear Recent Games feed at your Library Home Page.
  • You will get empty gray thumbnail. Right Mouse Button Click (on it) → Manage → Select custom artwork...
  • Navigate to place, where you stored "x-piratez_thumbnail_wide.png" and select it.
  • Launch any other game in the list and instantly exit, so it will move to the 2nd place in feed.
  • You will get again gray thumbnail. Right Mouse Button Click (on it) → Manage → Select custom artwork...
  • Navigate to place, where you stored "x-piratez_thumbnail_tall.png" and select it.
  • Find in your Library "X-Piratez" entry → Click on it → And dedicated page for it will open.
  • On the dedicated page you will see "X-Piratez" text in large front and black thumbnail.
  • Right Mouse Button Click on the "X-Piratez" text → Set Custom Background.
  • Navigate to place, where you stored "x-piratez_thumbnail_hero.png" and select it.
  • Right Mouse Button Click on the "X-Piratez" text → Set Custom Logo.
  • Navigate to place, where you stored "x-piratez_thumbnail_logo.png" and select it.
  • Find your steam ID3 via "steamid.xyz" website by copying URL to your steam profile.
  • Now, go the "\Steam\userdata\%YOUR_STEAM_ID3%\config\grid\" folder.
  • In there, using artwork find ID of your non-steam game. I will use "1231231231_hero.png" as example.
  • Create (or modify, if already exists) file "1231231231.json" with this config:
  • {"nVersion":1,"logoPosition":{"pinnedPosition":"BottomCenter","nWidthPct":80,"nHeightPct":40}}
  • Enjoy (eye-candy I guess)!
All required artwork is attached at the post. Just click on them to make them full size and then do "Save Image As..." for every attachment.

P.S. Originally, these instructions were in Matrix Chat, but because newly joined users can't see previous history of encrypted chats, I've posted these instructions here as well.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 03:46:52 pm by WarStalkeR »

Offline howareyou32ny

• Captain
  • Work hard and play hard lol
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Steam Game in Steam Library with Custom Artwork
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 07:08:58 am »
lol. I actually just did that few days ago. not with your fine arts though. lol. will use your arts now for sure in my SD. love XPR. good job brother.

PS. Please post more Matrix Chat posts here. I can not get in there somehow. Also. Is there a Patreon for XPR creators? want to contribute a bit for their good work.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 07:11:55 am by howareyou32ny »

Online Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Steam Game in Steam Library with Custom Artwork
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 05:01:53 pm »
Just for completeness' sake, OXCE and X-Piratez also works on Steam Deck, instructions here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,10750.msg151728.html#msg151728

tl;dr you need Warpinator/Winpinator to move the files from PC to Deck, then add the executable as a non-steam game, and use Proton for compatibility. You'll also need to set up the control scheme (ex. left/right trigger -> left/right click) but that's fairly straightforward.