Author Topic: Empty hand HWP?  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Empty hand HWP?
« on: January 07, 2023, 07:52:10 pm »
Is it possible to somehow create a HWP (lets say battle robot) with both hands empty? Normally HWP item will be allways placed in right hand, specialUseEmptyHand does'nt work.
Thanks.

Offline Buscher

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Empty hand HWP?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 09:32:29 pm »
To my knowledge that's not possible. As you say the HWP is directly linked to its weapon (units: and items:, items: includes tu costs, etc.).

What you can do is to fill both the unit's hands with items using builtInWeaponSets before the HWP weapon is being added. Another solution seems to be have an AI soldier type and have armors for that soldiers type.
For example X-COM Files does that. I believe it's the Enforcer armor that has free hands.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 10:47:38 pm »
To my knowledge that's not possible. As you say the HWP is directly linked to its weapon (units: and items:, items: includes tu costs, etc.).

What you can do is to fill both the unit's hands with items using builtInWeaponSets before the HWP weapon is being added. Another solution seems to be have an AI soldier type and have armors for that soldiers type.
For example X-COM Files does that. I believe it's the Enforcer armor that has free hands.
Yes, i think the same.
Sadly, these variants are not fitting my conditions.

Offline TBeholder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 07:30:51 pm »
Well, specialUseEmptyHand/specialUseEmptyHandShow are roundabout ways to reuse hand slot interface for “special” weapons. Hovertank just has one glued into a “hand” slot, it’s not defined as specialWeapon.
Thus you would need to unglue them, and presumably convert those guns from fixedWeapon to specialWeapon.
But since unit class does not have specialWeapon field to mess with, this seems to require either
  • give it a custom armor (instead of unified “HOVERTANK_ARMOR”) or
  • turn hovertanks from items that spawns as an unit into soldiers type individuals (as Buscher advised), at which point you can give them specialWeapon or just allow inventory.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 04:34:00 am »
It will lead to using living quarters space for my robot. So i decided to make him one-handed. :)