aliens

Author Topic: What counts as "provoking" a faction?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Dead Nettle

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
What counts as "provoking" a faction?
« on: January 03, 2023, 12:17:37 am »
I assume that Warehouse Wars and Comms Towers probably upset the Trader's Guild and the Academy, but what upsets the Sky Ninjas? Is it all Lokk'Nar protection missions since they serve the Nar'Lokks, just the ones with Sky Ninjas, or do you actually have to interrogate/kill them to provoke them? If I knock them out and ransom them will it still count toward their base constructions and retaliations?

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What counts as "provoking" a faction?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 05:55:36 am »
*Take my opinion with a very large grain of salt, but I'm fairly certain the only thing that counts towards "provoking" a faction is interceptions.

That's strictly speaking the likelihood of getting a crackdown mission from that faction. Ninja base construction is I believe gated behind a research now, but don't quote me on that, havent started a new campaign since the last update.

Crackdowns represent a faction actively hunting for and trying to take over your base, which is why they spawn in once you've started intercepting enemy craft and they target the base launching the interceptors. From a fluff point of view, the faction has noticed craft in a certain area being actively shot down and are searching for the facility launching the fighters. Losing installations from spawned missions (like warehouse wars and comms towers) is just facilities randomly getting attacked with no clues as to your location and does not generate crackdown missions.*
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 06:04:19 am by nicedayright »

Offline Dead Nettle

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 06:08:18 am »
*Take my opinion with a very large grain of salt, but I'm fairly certain the only thing that counts towards "provoking" a faction is interceptions.

That's strictly speaking the likelihood of getting a crackdown mission from that faction. Ninja base construction is I believe gated behind a research now, but don't quote me on that, havent started a new campaign since the last update.

Crackdowns represent a faction actively hunting for and trying to take over your base, which is why they spawn in once you've started intercepting enemy craft and they target the base launching the interceptors. From a fluff point of view, the faction has noticed craft in a certain area being actively shot down and are searching for the facility launching the fighters. Losing installations from spawned missions (like warehouse wars and comms towers) is just facilities randomly getting attacked with no clues as to your location and does not generate crackdown missions.*
Hmm, that's odd. The Sky Ninjas sent a retaliation against a base I've got set up in Fuso even though the majority of enemy craft I've shot down were in Europe. Then again I may have shot down a Necroplane in that area that I can't recall and/or they just flat out get mad if you've got a base in Fuso.

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 01:21:08 am »
I think the Retaliation missions are also tied to your points in an area; for example if I sortie the Little Bird a lot to farm glamor.

Offline Yglorba

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 02:33:50 am »
If you're asking about what counts as "provoking" the ninjas in a way that makes them start harassing you, it's a specific series of quests and resulting research flags unique to them.

Specifically, there's a chain of missions involving the Narlocks and, eventually, the ninjas.  Each mission in this chain unlocks another one, eventually leading to an outright war with the ninjas.  If you don't want to have anything to do with the ninjas, don't get involved in any missions involving them or the Narlocks.

Offline Dead Nettle

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 05:50:17 am »
I think the Retaliation missions are also tied to your points in an area; for example if I sortie the Little Bird a lot to farm glamor.

Huh, I didn't even know the Little Bird had an effect on Galmour acquisition. I'll have to remember that.

If you're asking about what counts as "provoking" the ninjas in a way that makes them start harassing you, it's a specific series of quests and resulting research flags unique to them.

Specifically, there's a chain of missions involving the Narlocks and, eventually, the ninjas.  Each mission in this chain unlocks another one, eventually leading to an outright war with the ninjas.  If you don't want to have anything to do with the ninjas, don't get involved in any missions involving them or the Narlocks.

So it works like getting in bed with the Mutant Alliance & Pogroms? Interesting.