Author Topic: Let custom .rul files live with options.cfg?  (Read 6223 times)

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Let custom .rul files live with options.cfg?
« on: June 18, 2014, 05:08:27 am »
So I've made a custom MyStatStrings.rul file, but it looks like the only place it can live is in the OpenXCom\DATA\Ruleset folder.

I'd like it to live in the same place as options.cfg, so that when I delete the OpenXCom folder (perhaps to update to a new version) my custom .rul file isn't removed. Can the config directory be added to the search list for .rul files?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:18:38 am by skyhawk »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let custom .rul files live with options.cfg?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:25:49 am »
on a (nightly) update only rulfles that are included in openxcom are overwritten (XcomUtil_*,  UFOextender_*) make your filename unique and it should be save

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:35:01 pm »
So I've made a custom MyStatStrings.rul file, but it looks like the only place it can live is in the OpenXCom\DATA\Ruleset folder.

I'd like it to live in the same place as options.cfg, so that when I delete the OpenXCom folder (perhaps to update to a new version) my custom .rul file isn't removed. Can the config directory be added to the search list for .rul files?

I am not sure what you ask to be really necessary

I have created an "INSTALL" folder with subfolders :
1) - Original UFO Enemy Unknown prepared with Universal Patch
2) - Original OpenXcom
3) - My new Mods
4) - My WIP Mods

When I decide to update OpenXcom, I just have to :
- replace 2) with new version
- empty my Official OpenXcom "game directory"
- copy 1)+2)+3) inside

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:43:29 am »

You can add a "data" subfolder to your saves folder, and it will be treated same as the OpenXcom\data folder, so you can put your custom mods/etc without messing vanilla installation.

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 12:58:55 pm »
You can add a "data" subfolder to your saves folder, and it will be treated same as the OpenXcom\data folder, so you can put your custom mods/etc without messing vanilla installation.
Beautiful, thanks!

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 02:43:13 am »

How would those definitions be added to the game?  I know, I need to specify mods to load in the menu, which reflects in the global config file.

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 10:36:49 am »
How would those definitions be added to the game?  I know, I need to specify mods to load in the menu, which reflects in the global config file.

This thread pre-dates the current mod folder and infrastructure. There's nothing of any value here whatsoever to any OpenXCom built within the last several years.