Author Topic: Make reapers walk through walls  (Read 5986 times)

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Make reapers walk through walls
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:29:58 pm »
Ok the title is a bit of a lie but does convey what would be nice to see. As it's obvious to see reapers have a huge problem with pathfinding especially in terror missions with many 1 tile wide pathways being un-accessible for reapers.

What I am wondering if it is possible is to treat certain tiles as walkable by reapers, the tiles I have in my mind are tall hedges, as reapers should be strong enough to brush the hedge aside instead of needing to destroy it first, and fences (picket, and farmer fence) and small hedges as the reaper should be able to just walk over it easily.

I think this would make reapers a credible threat in the game, although it would make farmland terror ship crashes more terrifying as reapers could just walk through a hedge to attack your troops.

Also it could be possible for sectopods but those bastards don't really need any bonuses, and cyberdiscs obviously can just float away.

Reapers are the most pathetic unit in the game because of it's pathfinding trouble, I don't think I have ever been hit by one except on purpose just to see what happens, even silacoids do more damage to me (though not by much).

So anyway if it's possible to make a certain unit ignore certain terrain then it would definitely suit the reaper.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Make reapers walk through walls
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:56:34 pm »
I think it should be some kind of "attack move" e.g. when you order reaper to move through wall or some object he test his attack strength on that object and if its bigger than durability of it, he destroy it and move past it.
It should have some limitation, maybe that kind of move cost TU equal durability of destroyed object.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:24:09 pm »
Yes a reaper CHARGE attack through objects would be interesting +1

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:33:44 pm »
Alternatively they should just be able to melee the small/weak objects out of the way in one hit and factor that into their pathfinding.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:19:59 am »
I love this idea. This would make reapers great for brute forcing through your defense lines, or surprising any x-com soldier hiding behind a storehouse wall in a kool-aid man way.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:31:17 am »
you know how hard it was to get them to NOT walk through walls? sheesh.

Offline SHADO

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:04:30 am »
LOL!  Hey Warboy- I gotta ask you something.  It seems that every other new Git build has a fix for the reapers.  I was hoping that you were just joking about it, but I guess not.  What makes the reaper such a pain in the butt compared to the other big units like the cyberdisc or sectopod?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:11:02 am »

We should make a MOTD list for OXC. Warboy's comments seem to fit quite nice in one.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 10:53:26 am »
melee = fine.
large units = fine.
large melee units = the bane of my existance.

it's almost inevitable that if there is ANY kind of bug with either the melee code or the large unit compensations will manifest with one of these guys.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 10:23:47 pm »
Excellent ! ;D