aliens

Author Topic: Power Range Threshold / Reduction  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Bee

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Power Range Threshold / Reduction
« on: December 07, 2022, 09:23:45 pm »
While changing weapon variables, I noticed three things I would like to change: aimRange to 20 so it matches visual range during the day, powerRangeThreshold and powerRangeReduction (changes vary). Does it matter whether these are placed under the weapon or the clip? I ask because I notice as I am modifying the files, accuracy is defined under the weapons while power is defined under the ammo. Based on the wording in the rule set, I assume the above values go under the weapon.

Thank you.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Power Range Threshold / Reduction
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 10:26:05 pm »
Damage is defined in ammo, accuracy is in weapon.
And ammo and weapon is same type of object in game, you could even try make gun that shoot other guns.
This is why both configs are in same place.

Offline Bee

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 04:05:43 am »
Damage is defined in ammo, accuracy is in weapon.
And ammo and weapon is same type of object in game, you could even try make gun that shoot other guns.
This is why both configs are in same place.

So to be clear, even though in the .rul you have, for instance, - type STR_GAUSS_PISTOL and - type STR_GAUSS_PISTOL_CLIP, in the game these items will be treated as the same (I am assuming the compatible ammo links them), and as such, it does not necessarily matter whether I put the above variables under - type STR_GAUSS_PISTOL_CLIP or - type STR_GAUSS_PISTOL as in game they are linked?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 09:31:54 am »
No, not the same object, same type of object.

If your weapon shoots projectiles, put the damage info on the projectile.

If it doesn't shoot projectiles (e.g. a grenade or a sword), put the damage info on the weapon.

Offline Bee

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 12:32:57 pm »
No, not the same object, same type of object.

If your weapon shoots projectiles, put the damage info on the projectile.

If it doesn't shoot projectiles (e.g. a grenade or a sword), put the damage info on the weapon.

Perfect. So in the case of the gauss or sonic pistol, I put the damage variable(s) on the clip.

And if I were to create / mod a weapon, adding a new ammo slot, like a rifle with a grenade launcher, would there be a need for two entries, one under weapon to account for the grenade and one under the clip to account for the bullets? Or would this be redundant (let's assume same variable values are being used)?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 12:36:23 pm by Bee »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 01:57:36 pm »
Sorry, but why don't you just try?

It only takes a couple of minutes...