aliens

Author Topic: [DONE][Suggestion] Prison overview, similar to existing research and production  (Read 3518 times)

Offline aku

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I just spent some time looking through all the prison facilities in my bases for that one specific prisoner I forgot where I put and I thought it would be handy to have a geoscape hotkey to display an overview of all prison facilities in all the bases, similar to already existing research and production overviews. And clicking on base name on any prisoner under it would take you directly to that specific prison so you can ship the prisoner where you need it.

Not sure how to handle different prisoner types in piratez like beasts, creatures, robots, trained auxilliares like dogs and werewolves and stuff. I guess the simplest approach would be to put them all in there and separate by facility, so base 1: prison, beast den, cryo prison, base 2: large prison, beast den... and so on.

Doable?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 10:54:55 am by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] Prison overview, similar to existing research and production
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 03:00:25 pm »
todolisted, but with low priority

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
Since I did the original impetus of the Global Research overview that got merged, I can tackle this.  Looks like low hanging fruit and easy to do while Meridian and Yankes work on higher priority features.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
So, I almost have this feature implemented, but I need feedback.  My biggest issue is tallying up the space you have for containment for all prison types.  This includes the prison type for storage that holds things like robots. I'm unsure how to exclude them because prison is a prison no matter what type of being you are.

Below is the screenshot of my nearly complete work.  Notice the total available space is massive even though I only have a prison cell and animal pens (X-COM files).  The rest would be related to my storage facilities (prison type 4 in Xcom files).  Is it okay to include them in the total?  Should I even worry about displaying overall totals, and just only display currently listed captives in containment?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 03:47:41 pm by DoxaLogos (JG) »

Offline Flaubert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile

So, I almost have this feature implemented, but I need feedback.  My biggest issue is tallying up the space you have for containment for all prison types.  This includes the prison type for storage that holds things like robots. I'm unsure how to exclude them because prison is a prison no matter what type of being you are.

Below is the screenshot of my nearly complete work.  Notice the total available space is massive even though I only have a prison cell and animal pens (X-COM files).  The rest would be related to my storage facilities (prison type 4 in Xcom files).  Is it okay to include them in the total?  Should I even worry about displaying overall totals, and just only display currently listed captives in containment?

Impressive work!

What if you consider type four items apart from the others? (It is related to robots, vehicles, and similar if I remember)

However if you finally don't include type 4 prisoners in the list I would not  consider type 4 space in your feature.

Enviado desde mi Mi A2 Lite mediante Tapatalk

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Good question.  I think the only problem I have with excluding a prison type fixed to #4 in this case is that I don't know how future modders would use it.  Just because it's robot/mechanical in one mod doesn't necessarily meant it will be in another mod (unless I misunderstand something).

I'm tempted just to remove the total capacity from the window only, and I think that will the one problem(i.e. big number).  However, you would still see the type 4 prisoners in the list if you had them.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
all prisoners are equal, the engine does not and should not differentiate between them, and definitely not hardcoded

if the modders found some unintended side effect again -- I honestly don't know what that type 4 is -- then it's not my problem to solve

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
all prisoners are equal, the engine does not and should not differentiate between them, and definitely not hardcoded

if the modders found some unintended side effect again -- I honestly don't know what that type 4 is -- then it's not my problem to solve

I would agree. 

I was just wonder if there was a better way to display the totals without looking so surprising when someone sees 156 available space while thinking they only had 20 spaces from a prison cell and an animal pen (or alien containment).  This is why I'm inclined to drop the available containment space stat at least and just show who's currently captive and being studied or interrogated.

EDIT:

I'm leaning toward displaying the prison type next to the prisoner on the list instead.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 02:50:16 am by DoxaLogos (JG) »

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Here it is with total available capacity removed.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website

Type 4 are robotic enemies, like Cyberdiscs or Sectopods, but mostly regular robotic enemies (human made automated drones and the like).
They do not use any special rules or side effects. Their only notable feature is that this prison type is used on standard warehouses - contrary to some rumours, we don't put evil roombas in cages. :)

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
PR is up if you ever want to merge :)

https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/pull/115

I added the prison where the prisoner is being held captive to the list as well.  See below.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 04:17:42 pm by DoxaLogos (JG) »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Please 1 PR = 1 commit
10 commits with random descriptions is really not acceptable.

Also it says WIP, please PR only after it is considered finished.

As for adding prison type, I don't think it will fit all prisoner names and prison names with the current column widths... should be tested and adjusted.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Could this be grouped? Like now is done for base, some thing like:
Code: [Select]
Base A - Type A
Foo1
Foo2

Base A - Type B
Bar1
Bar2

Base B - Type A
Foo3

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Please 1 PR = 1 commit
10 commits with random descriptions is really not acceptable.

Roger that. I'll make a new branch with one commit in it. 

Also it says WIP, please PR only after it is considered finished.
The WIP is from the fact that it's from the OXCE Suggestions WIP forum.   

As for adding prison type, I don't think it will fit all prisoner names and prison names with the current column widths... should be tested and adjusted.

I'll double check.... again.  I'll probably use Yanke's suggestion.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Could this be grouped? Like now is done for base, some thing like:
Code: [Select]
Base A - Type A
Foo1
Foo2

Base A - Type B
Bar1
Bar2