Author Topic: Invisible Ninjas??? Black Lotus HQ  (Read 3699 times)

Offline CaptainVietnam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Ninjas??? Black Lotus HQ
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 01:01:14 am »
This doesn't always work but sometimes if you send another guy to the approximate firing location (a soldier with good reaction shot) you can snuff him out.
Get him kneeling down and ready to go.

That's not how it works especially in the open. Basically if you shoot and damage a target you are then visible to everyone on the map that is a sniper. Firing location doesn't matter since they know your exact position even if you move (apparently for 3 turns). A lot of people are snipers in this mod. unless you get full concealment you can be shot at or blown up. Reaction fire also reveals your position so it is better to turn it off unless you are cqc range.

your guy can shoot a reaction shot and then the same turn be blown up for doing it.

an option to disable this feature or alternatively weaker weapons that can be used to counteract this would be great. something like the crossbow, bows, knifes, suppressed weapons, etc.

as of now it's a slug fest of RNG hell to keep people alive when your on an open map which is most of the maps in this mod.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 02:06:25 am »
That's not how it works especially in the open. Basically if you shoot and damage a target you are then visible to everyone on the map that is a sniper.
Unless I am mistaken that only holds true for spotters. Damaging "normal" enemies does not reveal that unit to snipers.

Offline CaptainVietnam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 03:37:31 am »
Unless I am mistaken that only holds true for spotters. Damaging "normal" enemies does not reveal that unit to snipers.

most enemies fall into either a spotter/sniper even if you shoot a sniper or a spotter you are still spotted. damaging anyone with a weapon seems to get you spotted. even if you are in full darkness and with no one around to spot you. Boot up a red dawn factory or outpost to see what I mean.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 09:12:29 am »
That's a bad example because Red Dawn are all spotters without exception. They also used to be all snipers as well, but the gangers were recently downgraded.

What happens is that if you hit someone who's not a spotter, you still get 'spotted', just not for the purpose of sniping. So no-LoS psionics, Blasters, etc are still fair game, but snipers can't get at you.

This is kinda moot, though, because everyone and their dog has spotters.

All in all, it's an unfortunate combination of OG mechanics that worked pretty well when alien squadsight was not a thing, but now we have these new mechanics that ohartenstein is adamant about not changing from his original vision while modders use the feature in ways that are not incompatible with that. And who can blame them, it's a shiny feature and aliens need to level the playing ground.

Xilmi/Ail has been doing his own AI that stumbled upon the same problem and removed this behaviour exactly because it felt cheaty, but since his project is all about the AI the enemies now have a clue and can outmaneuver and kill you so much more easily that his own foray into XCF was very short and bloody, if I'm reading his posts right.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:36:05 am by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 12:11:41 pm »
That's not how it works especially in the open. Basically if you shoot and damage a target you are then visible to everyone on the map that is a sniper. Firing location doesn't matter since they know your exact position even if you move (apparently for 3 turns). A lot of people are snipers in this mod. unless you get full concealment you can be shot at or blown up. Reaction fire also reveals your position so it is better to turn it off unless you are cqc range.

Yeah, Yeah, hence my comment "This doesn't always work but sometimes"...  ;D

an option to disable this feature or alternatively weaker weapons that can be used to counteract this would be great. something like the crossbow, bows, knifes, suppressed weapons, etc.
as of now it's a slug fest of RNG hell to keep people alive when your on an open map which is most of the maps in this mod.

This, great suggestion.

Offline karatewalrus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2022, 01:50:31 am »
This just happened to me. I start getting hit by throwing knives from the air and I'm like WTF. I thought maybe if I ran toward where they came from I'd find the guy, but no. so I just ran everyone away and threw bombs at where I thought he was. Still didn't get him. Thankfully after receiving more knives in the face I found him and killed him. I had to be within like three tiles. It's nuts. He had a katana. It's insane he didn't kill anyone. I got really lucky. And there was just one of these dudes. I tried to capture him but surprise! he can't be hit in melee. I imagine he can but I swung like 10 times and missed them all. So I shot him in his big sexy booty with my shotgun.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2022, 02:16:47 am »
I tried to capture him but surprise! he can't be hit in melee.
Some enemies can be stabbed more easily in the back than from the front, but not ninjas. :(

Offline CaptainVietnam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2022, 02:26:16 am »
Some enemies can be stabbed more easily in the back than from the front, but not ninjas. :(

Assassin stats
Melee Dodge   1 * REACTIONS
REACTIONS   70
Back Dodge Penalty   0%
Side Dodge Penalty   0%

so that's 70 dodge? yeah lol don't bother with melee. tasers seem to be more reliable then melee is anyway since you don't have to google how much dodge they have to smack someone in the head with a stick.