Author Topic: Invisible Ninjas??? Black Lotus HQ  (Read 3709 times)

Offline jackmoodles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Invisible Ninjas??? Black Lotus HQ
« on: November 28, 2022, 01:38:42 pm »
Sent a 6 man team to this and doing ok.

Halfway through the mission i get 4 of my experienced wiped out by invisible enemies. Presumably Nijas. WTF how am I supposed to defend that? Is there any need for this?

Really enjoying this tough mod but this is a step too far!

How does anyone defend this?  Many thanks in advance

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Ninjas??? Black Lotus HQ
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 02:29:24 pm »
how am I supposed to defend that?
More men to watch each others' backs (Osprey carries a goodly number). Motion scanners and proxy grenades. Dogs and incendiary grenades. Just grenades for any and all suspiciously empty areas (Milkor is good for this).

Is there any need for this?
Yes. You chose to assault a giant nest of cultists with just 6 men.

...this is a step too far!
So, what are you going to do about it? :P

Offline CaptainVietnam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 08:28:48 pm »
avoid all cults hq until you get better armor and better transport it tends to help a lot.

Better armor is the key to other cults. take down red dawn at first (your first cult)(helps unlock promo 3 and better armor). attack at night and stick to shadows. have tnt ready to blow up tanks they have. 1-2 sticks if perfectly placed kills them.

try your best to avoid shooting them and stick to the shadows and throw bombs at red dawn unless you would like the person shooting to be shot at by snipers in return which turns into a luck/slug fest. keep just spamming grenades from shadows to avoid sniper/spotters.

after it starts getting a little more clear and only 1 or so cultist at a time start shooting them and send dogs to guard bunker doors to kill them.  they usually all surrender before I'm able to send my men down to clear the base.

Offline jackmoodles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 12:07:07 pm »
Thanks man, a helpful answer is much appreciated.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 12:42:18 pm »
WTF how am I supposed to defend that? Is there any need for this?

it's one of the reasons we love the game my friend. It is the unfair challenges, the 20 minutes of reloading saves to complete one turn or the bringing everyone back to the drop zone to abort the mission.

I've sat their listening to my wife talking. I see her lips moving, but in the back of my mind.. all I'm thinking about is how I'm going to kill those last 2 Sectoids that are mind controlling everyone.

This is not anger and frustration, this is actually why you love the game.

Offline jackmoodles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 12:48:25 pm »
Haha!You've nailed it my friend!

On the verge of giving up but will soldier on :)

I've played xcom since the early 90's on the PS1 and always loved it. This mod is fantastic but I sometimes feel like I no longer know what to do to progress and hit a brick wall.

I get missions to attack an HQ with what I've got? Should I do it? What happens if I don't?

Good to know my agents can get better armour etc to have a better chance.

Just felt that if these hard missions pop up I can't ignore them. Good to know I can actually ignore them until my dudes are stronger. Thanks

Also sorry it was a Cult Manor, not an HQ
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 01:45:49 pm by jackmoodles »

Offline AmanitaVerna

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 03:58:52 pm »
It's funny, I find XCom Files easier than Firaxis's XCOM 2, and way easier than the Long War mod for Firaxcom. Those are just frustrating. I couldn't even get past the first mission in Long War.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 04:49:23 pm »
I've sat their listening to my wife talking. I see her lips moving, but in the back of my mind.. all I'm thinking about is how I'm going to kill those last 2 Sectoids...
Does she know about your Sectoid... affair? :P

Offline SBBurzmali

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 07:57:52 pm »
WTF how am I supposed to defend that?
Save scum. Once a mod designer decides to use the tools at their disposal to tilt the game against the player, that's the signal that it is okay to use the tools provided to you to tilt them back.

Offline BreakRelease

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 03:11:35 am »
Save scum. Once a mod designer decides to use the tools at their disposal to tilt the game against the player, that's the signal that it is okay to use the tools provided to you to tilt them back.
I bet you 99% of players just save scum against ninjas, I sure did. The best method I've found without save scumming is to smoke grenade and camp, periodically running around to check for the assassin. It's just too damn tedious, though. Same with poltergeists, although my recommendation to others would be to just not research Cover:Scientists because the ghost levels are a hassle without much reward.

Offline CaptainVietnam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 06:59:44 am »
I bet you 99% of players just save scum against ninjas, I sure did. The best method I've found without save scumming is to smoke grenade and camp, periodically running around to check for the assassin. It's just too damn tedious, though. Same with poltergeists, although my recommendation to others would be to just not research Cover:Scientists because the ghost levels are a hassle without much reward.

I tend to avoid black lotus outpost as much as possible. If I do I use the ai drone who can see them better or the dog sniff ability to find them. using shield you get armored vest is really good for tanking the hit as well still a last resort thing.

the only thing that bothers me is the sniper/spotter mechanic. even in full darkness if you fire a shot and hit anyone every sniper on the map knows your location even if they cant see you or you are in full smoke crouching in a far corner of map 50+ tiles away. Most of my deaths early on are my guys shooting a shot and being 360 no scoped across the map. or they yell kobi and chuck a frag and one shot me.

You get punished for firing a gun in this mod (reactions as well). throwing grenades seem to be the best way to play it. since it doesn't activate sniper hacks the ai has.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 07:01:15 am by CaptainVietnam »

Offline BreakRelease

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 09:32:34 am »
The only thing that works against sniper/spotter is running behind full cover. I fought the red dawn by firing hunting rifles and then running behind my helicopter. Nothing is a sure bet against grenades, though.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 12:41:06 pm »
Does she know about your Sectoid... affair? :P

Sectoid ?
No. The Black Lotus Avatar lady ? Yes.  ;D

Offline SBBurzmali

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 05:52:29 pm »
the only thing that bothers me is the sniper/spotter mechanic. even in full darkness if you fire a shot and hit anyone every sniper on the map knows your location even if they cant see you or you are in full smoke crouching in a far corner of map 50+ tiles away. Most of my deaths early on are my guys shooting a shot and being 360 no scoped across the map. or they yell kobi and chuck a frag and one shot me.
It is more than that, not only do they know where you are the moment you fire, they will continue to know your exact position for 3 turns since that is how the AI's memory works.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 11:47:18 am »
It is more than that, not only do they know where you are the moment you fire, they will continue to know your exact position for 3 turns since that is how the AI's memory works.

This doesn't always work but sometimes if you send another guy to the approximate firing location (a soldier with good reaction shot) you can snuff him out.
Get him kneeling down and ready to go.