aliens

Author Topic: Make Shield HP Obvious  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Make Shield HP Obvious
« on: November 26, 2022, 03:29:22 am »
Per the title.

It's really annoying to have to guestimate how much shield HP a unit has remaining, unless there's some way/hotkey combo to see shield HP that I'm unaware of.

Could have blue overlay the red health bar along with a number, or some number above the unit's head (perhaps only visible while facing are being shown?) so you can clearly see at a glance how much shield they have remaining?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 03:43:27 am by Surrealistik »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Make Shield HP Obvious
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 12:22:45 pm »
Everything about shields is scripted; meaning that they don't really have much to do with OXCE development, they depend on the modder's skills and decisions.

Scripting is a rare skill, and most modders simply don't have it. But if it can be done on the current OXCE engine (which I am not sure about), then maybe someone else can rise up to the task.

I personally wouldn't do this, because the game doesn't tell you the number of HP lost either. But you can check it with a mind probe. Similarly, using some device to measure shield levels would be okay.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 01:20:39 pm »
I recall that now shields have small flashing animation when are active, one solution is alter this animation when shield have less than 25% of hp.

Another solution would be message flash, it could show custom text, you could even make scanner that will "hit" unit and will display some stat about it.

For now there is no other way to have feedback from y-scripts. In theory it could be added in other places, like have option to alter unit stats bars, or show some custom text in some screens.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 10:30:02 am »
X-Chronicles displays the remaining shield value.

You can copy a script doing that from there.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 12:14:40 pm »
Everything about shields is scripted; meaning that they don't really have much to do with OXCE development, they depend on the modder's skills and decisions.

Scripting is a rare skill, and most modders simply don't have it. But if it can be done on the current OXCE engine (which I am not sure about), then maybe someone else can rise up to the task.

I personally wouldn't do this, because the game doesn't tell you the number of HP lost either. But you can check it with a mind probe. Similarly, using some device to measure shield levels would be okay.

I'm not talking about enemies (barring perhaps it being displayed on the stat sheet when probing them) so much as your own troops; you should know exactly how much shielding they have remaining.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 01:59:22 pm »
I choose to use mana also as a hp value for those psi shields, so you can just look at it. This is, ofc, a very limited solution if you don't use mana pool for something else.