Author Topic: Just started doing small mods/looking for advice  (Read 988 times)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
Just started doing small mods/looking for advice
« on: December 03, 2022, 02:11:04 am »
I really hope I'm posting in the right part of the forum. If not my apologies.
I just recently started making minor changes to save game files. I love this game so much and now I have that similar feeling I had when I first started playing it, a fresh perspective, learning what is going on behind the scenes. I'm instantly hooked. I also make a back up of anything I do incase I have to revert.

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions on how to advance. What would you suggest I do to further my skills.

I don't think I'm ready to make my first mod yet (or maybe I am IDK). I just have this craving to learn more about the code to this game.
So far I have:
- Boosted some solider stats
- Replenished inventory that I don't have access too
- Cut down on building time for facilities
- Cut down on days for soldiers who are wounded
- So in summary, I've cheated... like a lot.

And though i do feel somewhat guilty of cheating, The guilt is being replaced by the joy of learning.

Thank you.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Re: Just started doing small mods/looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 08:08:47 am »
If you are interested in creating a mod I suggest starting by creating a single new weapon item. (If you need graphics for the item, check these threads)

Then move onto adding a new X-Com armor for your soldiers before creating an alien unit.

This should help you to get a feel for the way a mod's .rul files are coded.

A good mod to look at to understand the structure of the code is the Final Mod Pack. Everything is setup in a very easy to read format internally so it is not just fun to play but also makes a good tutorial for modding.

The Ruleset Reference on the UFOpaedia.org site is a guide that will allow you to understand the code's variables and all the settings that you can make use of while modding.

Do not try to use Microsoft Window's default notepad program to edit your .rul files as it can save hidden characters that will cause you problems when trying to run your mod.

Instead use an editor that understands YAML. (For example Xed is what I use)

There are two extensions for Visual Studio Code that will allow that editor to check your rulesets for syntax errors which can be found HERE and HERE.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
Re: Just started doing small mods/looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 12:14:57 pm »
If you are interested in creating a mod I suggest starting by creating a single new weapon item. (If you need graphics for the item, check these threads)

Then move onto adding a new X-Com armor for your soldiers before creating an alien unit.

This should help you to get a feel for the way a mod's .rul files are coded.

A good mod to look at to understand the structure of the code is the Final Mod Pack. Everything is setup in a very easy to read format internally so it is not just fun to play but also makes a good tutorial for modding.

The Ruleset Reference on the UFOpaedia.org site is a guide that will allow you to understand the code's variables and all the settings that you can make use of while modding.

Do not try to use Microsoft Window's default notepad program to edit your .rul files as it can save hidden characters that will cause you problems when trying to run your mod.

Instead use an editor that understands YAML. (For example Xed is what I use)

There are two extensions for Visual Studio Code that will allow that editor to check your rulesets for syntax errors which can be found HERE and HERE.

Thanks Martian. Sounds really logical. FMP is pretty straight forward. Looking at XCF, there is a lot of stuff in there and to a newbie like me can be overwhelming. I will take your advice. Thanks.