aliens

Author Topic: A few questions about comibining Hardmode-Expansion with Brutal-AI sourcefork  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
From the Mods that I'm aware of, this and probably FMP are the ones, that seem most likely for people wanting to combine them with Brutal-AI.

So I'd like to know if this mod contains any units that have traits or weapon-types not available in vanilla.

An example for that would be turret-type-units that cannot move. While this particular example has already been taken care of, I'd like to know if there's other similar things I might not expect.

Another question would be, if Hardmode-Expansion enforces any specific advanced-options that might also have an impact on the AI. For example accuracy-drop-off of certain weapons. My AI can deal with hard-limits to range but accuracy-dropoff is handled poorly.

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
I actually tried it and it seems to be working reasonably well. :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
From the Mods that I'm aware of, this and probably FMP are the ones, that seem most likely for people wanting to combine them with Brutal-AI.

Making Hardmode more Hardcore and brutal as it already is you got my ears fully open and my brain ready to inflict more pain and suffering towards those who dare to enter the domain of my mod.
First and foremost I am really sorry for only replying to you so delayed. My Girlfriend was in extensive need of support within the last 6 weeks, so i basically had no time to do anything for myself or my mod...
Let me tell you avoid the fucking jabs! My girlfriedn got a brainstroke from the Pfizer shit and now my live is basically a rollercoaster since May 2021.

In any case is there a list of modable options for me to try out?

So I'd like to know if this mod contains any units that have traits or weapon-types not available in vanilla.

An example for that would be turret-type-units that cannot move. While this particular example has already been taken care of, I'd like to know if there's other similar things I might not expect.

Another question would be, if Hardmode-Expansion enforces any specific advanced-options that might also have an impact on the AI. For example accuracy-drop-off of certain weapons. My AI can deal with hard-limits to range but accuracy-dropoff is handled poorly.

I do have UFO Extender Accuracy Support with modified Drop Off and Range limitations for some weapons (Shotguns).

I actually tried it and it seems to be working reasonably well. :)

Uhhhh how can i also try :D????

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Let me tell you avoid the fucking jabs! My girlfriedn got a brainstroke from the Pfizer shit and now my live is basically a rollercoaster since May 2021.
I had something weird happen to me about 20 years ago just 2 days after receiving a Hepatitis B jab. Felt like what I imagined a heart-attack to feel like. At first I really thought I was done for and it took about 6 weeks to feel normal again. So I've been extremely cautious in that regard ever since. There were a lot of red-flags with this one. Especially all the attempts of coercion even going as far as actual discrimination like not being allowed into any non-grocery-stores around a year ago. In hindsight this time felt so weird and surreal. I've read a lot of reports about similar things of what happened to your girlfriend and I feel like I've made the right choice to stay adamant. The implications of all that are really scary and I usually try to avoid thinking too much about it. But when I get confronted with stuff like that at places where I wouldn't really expect it. Like here, for example, it reminds me that I can't just keep ignoring it.

Range limits are no problem. Extender is something more general. It was taken into account in the algorithms that already were there and the only way I can think of doing something about it would be having a cut-off point where the accuracy is considered too low to be worthwhile. When I asked around I got inconclusive answers. Mostly that the accuracy displayed is not really a prediction of what will happen and if you are close enough you can still hit even at 0%.

AI won't take a shot at 0 accuracy but at any other it will. If it has several options it will do the one where accuracy * damage / Tu-cost gives the best value.

You now already know how to try and I've been thinking what additional options I could provide.

So far I've been thinking about the following:

1. cheating during movement-decision-making on/off (currently on)

2. different modes for attacking:
a) only what the alien can see
b) what other aliens can see too
c) with blind-fire
d) with outright cheating (being able to attack everything there is a line of sight to)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:57:41 pm by Xilmi »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Range limits are no problem. Extender is something more general. It was taken into account in the algorithms that already were there and the only way I can think of doing something about it would be having a cut-off point where the accuracy is considered too low to be worthwhile. When I asked around I got inconclusive answers. Mostly that the accuracy displayed is not really a prediction of what will happen and if you are close enough you can still hit even at 0%.

AI won't take a shot at 0 accuracy but at any other it will. If it has several options it will do the one where accuracy * damage / Tu-cost gives the best value.

You now already know how to try and I've been thinking what additional options I could provide.

So far I've been thinking about the following:

1. cheating during movement-decision-making on/off (currently on)

2. different modes for attacking:
a) only what the alien can see
b) what other aliens can see too
c) with blind-fire
d) with outright cheating (being able to attack everything there is a line of sight to)

Could you live the link fr your github repo here?

So i can play round with this once i find time.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Interestingly enough my findings with Brutal-AI were that, at least in the very early-game, HME seemed actually easier on the Battlescape than TFTD, for example.

You start with two extremely potent tanks, some basic armor for your soldiers and have access to more useful weaponry.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Interestingly enough my findings with Brutal-AI were that, at least in the very early-game, HME seemed actually easier on the Battlescape than TFTD, for example.

You start with two extremely potent tanks, some basic armor for your soldiers and have access to more useful weaponry.

I personally prefer Drones over the Tanks. Also when i added the Tanks towards the starting base storage, I reduce the starting funds accordingly.
And the armor for the soldiers does help a little but only against Plasma Pistols.

Offline Fizztron

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Any updates on if Brutal AI and Hardmode are compatible with each other?

I must play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account

Feel free to try it out, but I so far go with vanilla AI until the brutal AI learns to follow Route Nodes.
It will upset the balance, it will also change behaviour of alien units, to what degree I do not know and i do not want to know at the current state of time.

The Brutal AI also does not (at least as far I know) consider units stats like aggression or intelligence, it also ignores ROUTE nodes on maps.

I personally will stick with the vanilla AI for the time being. The vanilla AI does a pretty good job in Hardmode due to mapdesign and enemy density. At the current state it does not offer all the function the vanilla AI has consider Map Routes and Unit Stats. It ignores them.

My personal recommedation is until the Brutal AI can replicate all vanilla behaviour and its own improvements I will not recommend using it.

EDIT: I might even force it to be turned of via fixedUseroptions at least until a certain persons learns that map ROUTES exist for a reason and unit stats are important for unit behaviour. A certain person might be good writing good code, but ignoring big parts of the behaviour design is in my eyes foolish. Thats my personal opinion.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 09:47:20 am by hellrazor »

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile

I have several "playthroughs" (quick defeats) of that combination on my YouTube-channel. At least for how far I got I did not run into any incompatibilities.

Offline Fizztron

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I have several "playthroughs" (quick defeats) of that combination on my YouTube-channel. At least for how far I got I did not run into any incompatibilities.
Was it hard to install?

Did you just put them in the mod folder and enable them?