Author Topic: Rationalising my Fleet  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Praevasc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Rationalising my Fleet
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 11:50:42 pm »
Ok... so the Rover is the same as the sports car, only slightly slower with a higher capacity, and has a global range... and a transfer time of one hour... using its flux capacitor???

Car are supposed to be stationed at strategic places around the world, not in your base, so it's not the car which is traveling that fast. If you use a car, what is really supposed to happen, is that you fly by private jet to the location, and while you were flying, a locally rented car has already been prepared for you to drive from the airport to the mission location. (yes, there are some issues with that, if the location is in a jungle or the North Pole, and the game engine also has its limitations).

Offline jackmoodles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2023, 08:25:43 am »
I've just realised I'm paying monthly rent for my interceptors and skranger!

I've spent a lot of time and money for engineers to make these ships and I still have to pay rent!!

I'm running out of money, next month I'll be broke. I'm in July 99 and the missions now I just don't quite yet have the firepower e.g the Golden Tower Academy and the Temple of Dagon.

I'm gutted but I think I'll have to start again. Too many outgoings, not enough income!

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2023, 09:07:29 am »
That's not rent, that's just continuing to pay the airtechs. What's the point of building a plane if you can't continue to make money off of it? :D

The Temple is full of mooks and no-one there is excessively hard to take down, just shoot the chaff and most of the rest will panic. Some Milkors or thrown dynamites can be painful if you're unlucky, not to mention Gillman snipers, but it's not a terribly hard mission. Indirect weaponry if your own is good for this mission since the map is relatively open but full of jungle.

One idea for avoiding an initial CF I saw is to beeline immediately for the courtyard and kill the cultists as they try to come inside, since the walls are in the way for most of their guns.

Golden Academy is one of those missions that showcase Solarius' fetish for vertical maps, just like Dioxine has a thing for underground maps. ;D The Stormclouds are a bit troublesome, but Syndicate HQ was worse for me.

What do you have if you don't think you have enough firepower for these? And what's eating all your money? You can try temporarily firing some engineers/scientists, or at least supplementing your income with manufacturing. It no longer makes money overall, but it might be enough to staunch the bleeding. Maybe sell your interceptors if you're not getting a positive cash flow out of looting UFO crash sites.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:10:04 am by Juku121 »

Offline jackmoodles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2023, 01:11:47 pm »
I have UAC rifles, BO auto sniper rifles but no tritanium ammo. Heavy tactical suits but no HWP yet.

I thought attacking the temple of dogan my best chance of raising funds but the Bio drone just wastes my agents in no time. And there's loads of jarheads, gillmen and obviously plenty of the usual dogan enemies.

Since I'm virtually trapped at the start the enemies just hurl in a few grenades, bio drone lasers and suddenly I've lost 5 6 7 agents :(

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2023, 01:31:35 pm »
I have UAC rifles, BO auto sniper rifles but no tritanium ammo. Heavy tactical suits but no HWP yet.

I thought attacking the temple of dagon my best chance of raising funds but the Bio drone just wastes my agents in no time. And there's loads of jarheads, gillmen and obviously plenty of the usual dagon enemies.

Since I'm virtually trapped at the start the enemies just hurl in a few grenades, bio drone lasers and suddenly I've lost 5 6 7 agents :(

If it's the mission I'm thinking of, this was one a tough one for me as well. It happens rather early in the game (first year or two) so your soldiers are still a bit green.
My advice is rather simple, yet effective.

Use your ship as cover. Pop your guys out once every turn, then pop them back inside again. Do this until the immediate area (threat) is clear of present dangers.

Offline jackmoodles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2023, 02:33:32 pm »
If it's the mission I'm thinking of, this was one a tough one for me as well. It happens rather early in the game (first year or two) so your soldiers are still a bit green.
My advice is rather simple, yet effective.

Use your ship as cover. Pop your guys out once every turn, then pop them back inside again. Do this until the immediate area (threat) is clear of present dangers.

No this is different. I did the church of dagon HQ but this is the temple of dagon. I start the mission as if it's an HQ so I have no ship. I;m cornered and bombarded from the start!

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2023, 02:45:16 pm »
Oh, yeah, the Temple is a completely different thing. No initial cover like during a mansion assault, more alien bio-terror units that oneshot you.

Still, you could try rushing the two towers next to your starting spot, popping in and out onto the platform above and through the doors below. BO Auto-Sniper should be able to kill everything in 1-2 hits, and you have nice clear firing lanes from the platform.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2023, 08:36:55 pm »
Get MGL's with smoke grenades. You can lay down 3 grenades per shooter on turn one.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2023, 09:13:29 pm »
No this is different. I did the church of dagon HQ but this is the temple of dagon. I start the mission as if it's an HQ so I have no ship. I;m cornered and bombarded from the start!

Use smoke right out of the start.
Then take cover using the two towers on the sides. Pop out once per turn and then pop back behind the cover of the towers.
I find if you try to seek shelter inside the tower, there is always someone hiding up above to pick you off.

The real issue with this mission is the end. There are always Dagon pricks hiding in the middle floor of that beehive bottom structure. It is extremely difficult to get inside and shoot from above. Almost always necessary to have someone with jump armor or a gravity pack (jet pack) get in and pick them off from that way.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2023, 09:25:23 pm »
Also, if you find the base missions too hard you can always mod out the insanity effect. I did that and now I can afford to camp and let them come to me.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2023, 09:59:41 pm »
Then take cover using the two towers on the sides. Pop out once per turn and then pop back behind the cover of the towers.
I find if you try to seek shelter inside the tower, there is always someone hiding up above to pick you off.
How do you take cover behind the towers when there are like 4 tiles actually behind those, plus maybe another three behind the rock walls, and only two of those don't have partial LOS to the outside? Kill the guys on the platform, maybe drop a proxy/mine if nothing else, and then use the towers as your base.

There are always Dagon pricks hiding in the middle floor of that beehive bottom structure. It is extremely difficult to get inside and shoot from above.
You mean the one with the computer and candelabras? How is a jump pack useful there? I mean, it's just like a miniature UFO with windows, do you blow the top and come down from there?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 10:02:27 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2023, 02:45:42 pm »
How do you take cover behind the towers when there are like 4 tiles actually behind those, plus maybe another three behind the rock walls, and only two of those don't have partial LOS to the outside? Kill the guys on the platform, maybe drop a proxy/mine if nothing else, and then use the towers as your base.
You mean the one with the computer and candelabras? How is a jump pack useful there? I mean, it's just like a miniature UFO with windows, do you blow the top and come down from there?

I must be thinking of a different mission. This is what I thought we were referring to
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 02:47:15 pm by Meridian »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2023, 03:15:05 pm »
That looks strange. ??? Like a terrain mismatch.

Mine is much cleaner, and has been since I got it in 2.5 (skipped 2.3 where it was introduced):
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 03:18:28 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2023, 03:23:54 pm »
That looks strange. ??? Like a terrain mismatch.

Mine is much cleaner, and has been since I got it in 2.5 (skipped 2.3 where it was introduced):
Okay so it is the same mission.

Yeah, you can take cover using the towers. Most of the reinforcements come from the sides. You are indeed open to frontal assault but most of those are 100 tiles away.
The ones you need to take caution of are the sides. They come in droves.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2023, 04:06:58 pm »
You are indeed open to frontal assault but most of those are 100 tiles away.
Frontal assault to you, killing ground to others. :D

The ones you need to take caution of are the sides. They come in droves.
They are also Disciples. Yeah, heavily armed Disciples, but still largely sacrifices to the morale god.