aliens

Author Topic: Cool loophole if your general stores are full  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
Cool loophole if your general stores are full
« on: October 25, 2022, 04:32:33 pm »
Stumbled upon this by accident but figured I would share.

If you are anything like me and you hoard Elerium and Alien alloy's your stores are overflowing and have no more room.
I rely heavily on high explosives (to clear brush, snuff out aliens hiding in shacks, etc.)

So when my stores are full and can not purchase anymore (do to size limits). I create a small base with one Skyraider set up to make delivery's.
This base is protected by 8 solders (who's stats increase due to base attacks until defenses can be researched and built).

The base is good for small recon and also purchasing your high explosives, then load these high explosives on to the Skyraider, transfer the Skyraider to said base (which has exceeded it's store limits).

Once the Skyraider arrives, unload high explosives and transfer the ship back to the small recon base.

Hope this helps.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Cool loophole if your general stores are full
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 02:06:57 am »
Nice trick! I never thought of that one before.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 10:14:20 am »
A very loosely related "trick" on store capacity:

Manufacturing does not check if there is capacity in the stores or in the base to store manufactured goods. So I think it's entirely possible to manufacture hundreds or thousands of items on a base with zero or very little storage space, yet magically they fit in the base and can be transferred away from the base as needed. So, no need for storage space on bases where you just manufacture stuff that you then transfer to other bases as needed.

In normal games this often comes up after missions in the debriefing purchase/manufacture used goods screen, when you notice you cannot purchase replacement stuff for your base due to the lack of space, but you can still manufacture equivalent or other goods, even though the stores are already overflowing with junk.

Not sure if this is worth "fixing". I suppose the manufacturing code could be adopted so that upon starting to manufacture each item, the game would check if there is still free space for it (but if the space gets filled while manufacturing, that would have impact only when starting the next item).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 10:44:05 am »
Not sure if this is worth "fixing".

No, it is absolutely not worth fixing.

I am constantly "fixing" stuff related to enforcing storage limits (since 2016) and it is the deepest sinkhole I've ever seen or could even imagine.
And every fix introduces 2 new issues.
Let it go.

Also, I really don't see what every modder sees on this feature.
Literally hundreds and hundreds of people across all mods complaining about bugs, inconsistencies, hard-to-understand limits, user unfriendliness and general frustration.

Not a month goes by without newcomers and veterans alike asking about why cannot they dismantle a... let's say Grav Shield... well, because somebody thought it would be a cool and tremendously useful idea to give it a 5 storage capacity. I can store more stuff in the toilet room in my tiny apartment!

Do yourself a favor, and increase the storage capacity of basic General Stores, to twice of what you think you need.
You're supposed to enjoy the game, not look for "cool loopholes" for uncool limitations.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 11:51:23 am »
my take (in my build, am aware what a mindf it is to dicker with 'storage' everywhere)

So I just do a check each (uh, forget exactly what the time-period is, but short like 5min) and pop a notice that "Stores are full @ baseX" -- it's extremely irritating while playing. But it works, i do whatever has to be done to reduce storage to legal limits.

much easier to implement than checking and dealing with loading and unloading craft, manufacturing, removing buildings etc

to each his/her own though, just putting it out there ...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 11:57:40 am by kevL »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 12:16:03 pm »
OXC/OXCE does the check every full hour.
It's just as irritating as every 5 minutes.

And it doesn't help at all... maybe you are an exception... but literally all players I've seen on youtube and twitch get this popup basically all the time. Then they sell just enough stuff to be able to continue (because everyone naturally wants to keep the stuff they fought so hard for), meaning after the next mission or after something is manufactured, they get the popup again. And again, and again, and again...

This feature alone has collectively wasted centuries of our lives.

My heart is broken every time I see players struggling with it.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 09:00:24 pm »
Do yourself a favor, and increase the storage capacity of basic General Stores, to twice of what you think you need.
You're supposed to enjoy the game, not look for "cool loopholes" for uncool limitations.

I'm really hoping to learn some modding myself in the future. I've been extremely inspired by all of you. I can't thank everyone enough.

I think stores are great for the challenge in the game but unfortunately, I'm always running out it no matter how many G stores I build.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 09:06:41 pm »
I know modding this game is no easy task though, I hope I don't I sound like this would be an easy thing. I also wouldn't even attempt any mods until I know exactly what I was doing. And to be totally honest, I'm not even close to that point. I just recently started analyzing folders and looking at this as a future project.

This is possibly my favorite game ever. Lets face it, this game doesn't stack up well in present times (with more flashy style graphics).
But I've never played anything like it. It's depth, it's total unfairness sometimes :-) This game can be relentless. Like a puzzle.

But I am very fond of this game. Like no other.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 09:30:20 pm »
And again, and again, and again...

also dock them $50 .. $1000 bucks each time, that'll get their goats

;)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 01:01:27 am »
OXC/OXCE does the check every full hour.
It's just as irritating as every 5 minutes.

And it doesn't help at all... maybe you are an exception... but literally all players I've seen on youtube and twitch get this popup basically all the time. Then they sell just enough stuff to be able to continue (because everyone naturally wants to keep the stuff they fought so hard for), meaning after the next mission or after something is manufactured, they get the popup again. And again, and again, and again...

This feature alone has collectively wasted centuries of our lives.

My heart is broken every time I see players struggling with it.

Can we have a base mod that boosts the General Stores storage capacity to 250 (an actually sensible value)?

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 01:18:42 pm »
Not a month goes by without newcomers and veterans alike asking about why cannot they dismantle a... let's say Grav Shield... well, because somebody thought it would be a cool and tremendously useful idea to give it a 5 storage capacity. I can store more stuff in the toilet room in my tiny apartment!
This is what happens when you have a message with a style "unknown error for an unknown reason". Was it so hard to write how exactly the building is used (storage, living, other building requirements...)? After all this information is already gathered when such message popped.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 02:26:46 pm »
This is what happens when you have a message with a style "unknown error for an unknown reason". Was it so hard to write how exactly the building is used (storage, living, other building requirements...)? After all this information is already gathered when such message popped.

Yes, it is very hard.
There is an unlimited number of reasons why a facility cannot be dismantled in OXCE, depending on modder's taste.
Good luck creating infinitely many non-generic error messages...

Next time, before you accuse us of having an IQ of a bacteria, maybe try to do it yourself first.

PS: This is what happens, when you allow modders so much freedom that you can't even produce frikkin' error messages.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 02:30:31 pm by Meridian »

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2022, 10:45:35 am »
PS: This is what happens, when you allow modders so much freedom that you can't even produce frikkin' error messages.
Providing freedom to introduce some constraints AND not enforcing modders to implement appropriate error messages when that constraint is violated was definitely a bad decision.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2022, 10:57:49 am »
Providing freedom to introduce some constraints AND not enforcing modders to implement appropriate error messages when that constraint is violated was definitely a bad decision.

Yeah, I agree, I will remove all those modding options in the next version.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2022, 01:56:27 pm »
OK, let me simply ask: what would be good guidelines for setting storage space on buildings? Should storage be provided strictly by facilities for which it is their primary function (general stores) only?
Is it OK if a hangar provides some storage space? I added some storage to hangars to enable interception bases with no crew, and you need a few storage points for craft weapons ammo (and sometimes to send craft weapons there).

I understand these are not binary questions, but I think the problem requires some consultation.