aliens

Author Topic: Shadows of Forbidden Gods  (Read 1789 times)

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Shadows of Forbidden Gods
« on: September 03, 2022, 11:20:37 am »
Not a tactics game, but a Master of Orion style grand strategy, building on top of the reverse XCOM idea, where player infiltrates human civilization. The setting is fantasy, but I think one can easily replace it with modern day world or a galactic empire.

Surprisingly got a few similar ideas to what I have in my game, and uses the same royalty free tileset, which looks completely out of place there, since the game uses Master of Orion like location graph for its map, and hexes are a just a background, which sharply clashes with game mechanics and the art direction. But I guess the game was made by a single person, who has great table top game design talent, but little art and or programming skills.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 11:23:03 am by NancyGold »

Offline Galdred

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows of Forbidden Gods
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 03:06:48 pm »
Is the game good? I have been thinking about getting it for a while, because the premise seems pretty interesting.
It is a shame that the hexgrid seems counter productive here. Is the map randomized?
Otherwise, a map illustration with a location list and a travel matrix would have worked much better.

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows of Forbidden Gods
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 06:19:39 pm »
Is the game good? I have been thinking about getting it for a while, because the premise seems pretty interesting.
It is a shame that the hexgrid seems counter productive here. Is the map randomized?
Otherwise, a map illustration with a location list and a travel matrix would have worked much better.
The game is similar to Europa Universalis.
You basically play KGB in a fantasy world.
The game does have direct combat, but it is useless, since the opposing agents are always better equipped.
Hex grid use does have a rationale, since the game has terraforming magic.
You can show dynamic terraforming with arbitrary regions, but it will be more challenging.