aliens

Author Topic: Showing appreciation and asking about TFTD in extended version (OXCE)  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Yann

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, relatively new to OpenXcom, but not at all new to these games. I played UFO Defense and TFTD to death when I was a teenager in the ninetees when these games came out. What a fantastic job you guys have done with this project, reviving one of the best games ever made and giving it a second life! It is truly a joy to be able to revisit these games with an improved engine and all the quality of life additions. And the mods like The X-Com Files and XPiratez look amazing! I don't know who on this forum is/are the actual progenitor(s) and coder(s), but I would like to sincerely thanks these marvelous human beings. Thank you!

After that fawning introduction I would also like to ask a question, although I'm not sure if this is the right place in the forum for it. I'm using OXCE to play UFO Defense, and I installed OXC nightly to be able to play TFTD. But I would really like to be able to play TFTD in the extended version. Is there a way for me to do this? I haven't found any explanations or tutorials on it. I'm on Linux, although I am able to use a Windows .exe install file through Wine.

Many thanks!

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Showing appreciation and asking about TFTD in extended version (OXCE)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 03:48:51 pm »
OXCE should handle TFTD same way as OXC do.
Simplest way to enable it is for OXCE finding folder where you have UFO Defense files (it should be named `xcom1`) and you should see folder `xcom2` where should be TFTD files. You could find same analogous folders for OXC too, copy whole `xcom2` from OXC to `xcom2` in OXCE.

Then when you run game you should have option in mod list to change master mod to TFTD.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 04:19:50 pm »
Hi Yann,

welcome to the forum.

I have no new information for you, just confirming what Yankes already said above... TFTD is fully supported by OXCE.

Offline Yann

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 07:31:10 pm »
Gentlemen, thank you for your swift reply.

I tried putting the TFTD data in /openxcom/xcom2 directory. It still did not appear in the mods selection screen.
Also, the xcom1 directory did not contain the UFO Defense data, it only contained save files. The UFO Defense data directories was in the root folder (openxcom/).
I moved the data files to xcom1 and xcom2 directories and tried again. Still didn't work.
Then I noticed that in the OXC nightly version the directories are named 'UFO' and 'TFTD'. So I tried renaming 'xcom1' and 'xcom2' directories to 'UFO' and 'TFTD' for OXCE as well. And that works!

Curious that the 'xcom' directories work for you and not for me.
I'm running OXCE version 7.8.7 (v2022-12-29)

Oh, the 'xcom1' and 'xcom2' directories are still there, but they only contain the save files. The game automatically puts them there and apparently wants them there instead of in the 'UFO' and 'TFTD' directories.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 07:45:59 pm by Yann »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 09:56:51 pm »
Ups, sorry I check wrong directories, indeed `UFO` and `TFTD` are correct ones (usually in same folder as exe), simply checked this too fast and look on other folders linked to each version (`xcom1` is name of folder where game store savegames and there is other folder too with same name where is rulesets for mod that is needed to run original game).

Sorry for my error again.

Offline Yann

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 06:28:43 am »
Sorry for my error again.

Think nothing of it, I appreciate your help!