Author Topic: How does ammo transferfrom one mission to another?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Charly1

• Captain
    • View Profile
How does ammo transferfrom one mission to another?
« on: October 06, 2022, 01:02:38 am »
Hello

Just wondering how the game calculates how much ammo you have left after each mission, and how much of that carries over.

I came into possession of a few advanced weapons, but I cannot manufacture more ammo.

If I fire off a couple of rounds,will that clip be gone for good?
If I have 2 weapons, and I fire off a couple of rounds each, will I lose 2 clips or will it combine the clips when making the calcuation?

Cheers!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: How does ammo transferfrom one mission to another?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 11:39:19 am »
The mod uses so-called "statistical bullet conservation". This means there's a chance to recover a full clip depending on how much ammo has remained.
So for example if at the end of a battle you have exactly one half of a clip, then you have equal chances to recover or lose this clip.
If you spend only 10% of the clip, then you have 90% chance to recover the full clip and 10% to lose it all.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 04:29:33 pm »
If I have 2 weapons, and I fire off a couple of rounds each, will I lose 2 clips or will it combine the clips when making the calcuation?
Solarius forgot to specify this, but all 'partial' clips indeed do stack for purposes of bullet retention. So e.g. if you have 5 clips all 90% full, you get four of them back and a 50% chance of getting a fifth as well.

Offline Charly1

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 12:57:17 am »
Thanks you so much guys. I have always wondered this.

Does it work the same way for healing packs? Ie remaining charges for stim pain and healing added together/total charges... across all medical devices (or would it be only the same types of medical device)?

That might make it more sense to only have high charge devices of the same type

Sorry I have so many questions, I probably should have tried to keep them all to a single thread.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 01:26:46 am »
From the ruleset reference: "If you use multiple medikits, they will use the same "combination" algorithm as the guns use for bullet recovery in OpenXcom. Using two medikits let's say just once will not make both of them disappear, because there will be enough "stuff" left to fully recover one of them."

Note that this only applies to consumable medicals with multiple charges (big sprays, plasma gel, certain drugs). Full kits always get recharged no matter how low you go.

AFAIK, nothing stacks outside one specific item type. How would your alien goo packages be refilled using healing sprays, anyway?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:31:02 am by Juku121 »

Offline Charly1

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 02:10:28 am »
Sorry... I was talking about the big medi packs and trauma kits. I did not realise that these refill after each mission. I assumed they were consumables, but then I rarely use them as they are so bulky.

Yeah, I was not sure if the rules look at all wound healing devices essentially being the same "ammo". I know that may sound stupid, but at the time of writing it just popped in there.