Author Topic: is there an agent rank limit?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline BDoubleDs

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
is there an agent rank limit?
« on: September 28, 2022, 05:54:27 pm »
title.  More specifically, are you only ever allowed a certain number of 'Special Agents' etc?  I'm in Nov 1998 and none of my agents seem to be ranking up out of rookie anymore.  Considering how fast I got agents to senior, captain, etc.  It seems strange none of my regular agents are ranking up.  For example, I have a basic 'agent'  with  17 missions and 26 kills.   I kinda feel like there should have been a level up in there.  They actually have more kills than an agent currently at senior (but 1 less mission).  and none of my senior, captains, etc are climbing up to chief and they are well beyond the threshold where my current chief was when he ranked up. 

Also if there is a cap on ranks, whats the sweet spot of agents? seems having a large pool is of less value?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: is there an agent rank limit?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 09:18:51 pm »
As far as I know, the ranks are the same as vanilla, just renamed. See here.

Not sure how rank limits interact with rankless agents (dogs and the like), and whether the overall rank limits are true in OXCE. Never had cause to go over those mentioned in UP. I assume rankless agents don't count, because I have 5 colonel equivalents and 125 ranked agents out of 188.

What is this 'Special Agent', anyway? Do you mean 'Senior Agent'?

I don't know why your rookies aren't getting ranked up. You don't have 'field promotions' on and leave them at the base or something? Otherwise, maybe it's this "...may not be given with high troop counts." Never run into this myself, maybe someone familiar with the code knows?

You can only have one 'Chief Agent', as always, so that's normal.

A larger pool is definitely useful. At least 250 are needed to 'max' your agents' ranks if the limits mentioned in Ufopedia are valid.

Offline BDoubleDs

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 09:55:28 pm »
yeah i meant senior agent.  not special. lol my bad.

im floating around ~25 agents total so im certainly not even close to the 250 space.  what exactly is the 'field promotions' thing you are referring?  i was definitely poking around and hitting some buttons, is it possible this is some setting to change?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:58:05 pm by BDoubleDs »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 10:46:24 pm »
25 agents should mean you don't get a Chief Agent, only a Commissar, two Captains, five Senior Agents and 17 Agents. I just spent half an hour leveling up exactly 25 agents, and that's exactly what I got. No eternal Rookies, no Chief Agent.

'Field promotions' is an advanced setting. Note that if you have this on, it seems that your agents have to actually contribute, not just sit in the craft. Not exactly as advertised, but makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 10:49:00 pm by Juku121 »

Offline BDoubleDs

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 06:47:11 am »
25 agents should mean you don't get a Chief Agent, only a Commissar, two Captains, five Senior Agents and 17 Agents. I just spent half an hour leveling up exactly 25 agents, and that's exactly what I got. No eternal Rookies, no Chief Agent.

this makes it sound like theres definitely a cap based on the number of agents available.  is that correct?

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 07:08:46 am »
this makes it sound like theres definitely a cap based on the number of agents available.  is that correct?
An earlier link was given where you can see the rank limits of soldiers. This one is. X-Files uses the same system as the vanilla UFO and TFTD games. Each high ranked soldier requires a certain number of lower ranked soldiers. The fact that in The X-Com Files the soldiers are called agents doesn't change anything.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:10:47 am by yergnoor »

Offline BDoubleDs

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 03:50:30 pm »
An earlier link was given where you can see the rank limits of soldiers. This one is. X-Files uses the same system as the vanilla UFO and TFTD games. Each high ranked soldier requires a certain number of lower ranked soldiers. The fact that in The X-Com Files the soldiers are called agents doesn't change anything.

holy crap, i literally never knew this was a thing. LOLOLOL.  probably because i couldnt ever keep my soldiers alive long enough for it to matter.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 05:00:40 pm »
Just to clarify: dogs, rats, sentient crystals etc. can't have ranks and don't have any impact on the command structure. :)

(Though the crystals perhaps could)