Author Topic: Alien Skull attempt  (Read 16525 times)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Alien Skull attempt
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:46:25 am »
Hello everyone,

I am not an artist but i am starting to learn 3DS :) so since i told SupSuper that i will find someone to do a new logo, and the persons still haven't come up with anything i like i decided to give it a shot.

This is a first try at creating an alien skull I am not done but creative input is welcomed :)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Skull attempt
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:41:53 am »
looks good, but the occipital bone seems to be a bit too big? idk, maybe it's just the lack of a mandible that's throwing me off here.

Volutar

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 08:14:52 am »
Alien skull cannot be realistic, since noone saw them. And because it's "comic-style" drawn project. It need to be more stylish and not 3D to fit project.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:16:08 am »
he can always cel-shade it or use some other filter or after-effect to stylize it however he wants, a 3d model isn't the worst place to start.

also, it looks like some of your smoothing groups are a bit messed up, i'd highly suggest researching what this means and how it works if you're unfamiliar. proper smoothing groups are the difference between a professional looking result and something that "looks odd"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:19:57 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:00 am »
thanks guys,

that is far form done, i have only started of course it has taken me almost a day to do it :) like i said i am just learning,

looks good, but the occipital bone seems to be a bit too big? idk, maybe it's just the lack of a mandible that's throwing me off here.
yes it looks a bit off since it is not an actual front view :) is a 45 degree top view, i just wanted to see the proportion of the eyes to the skull, and it looks about right (based on my knowledge of Grays anatomy), furthermore they have psi capabilities, we need to put them somewhere :), and yes is missing the jaw bone, i was looking to do a tiny mandible with useless teeth, basically a remnant of some ancient history (hint hint)

It need to be more stylish and not 3D to fit project.
That would be my next project once i learn modeling fairly well

also, it looks like some of your smoothing groups are a bit messed up, i'd highly suggest researching what this means and how it works if you're unfamiliar. proper smoothing groups are the difference between a professional looking result and something that "looks odd"
lol yes i know what it means, there is no smoothing applied to this render, is basically what i did and just render, as soon as i am "satisfied" with a full skull i will do the final touch ups. (actually my bad i had done smoothing as an early modifier and completely forgot about it, i just checked all the modifiers :) )

But really thanks for the input.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:11:27 am by xracer »

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:08:20 am »
ok this is a better view i had done some correction to the cheek bones because they looked crazy :)

and took a render from a better angle

Volutar

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 01:21:26 pm »
For me it really doesn't look like ALIEN. Maybe slightly. Maybe it's nose bone (i guess it shouldn't have any nose-bridge), and too bright eye-sockets (I believe they should be in the shadow). Also I think forehead should be larger (wider) and cheekbone - thinner and more subtle.
But mostly it's shade in eyes which make it not that "agressive" and "bonish"

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 01:26:59 pm »
Your doing a great job , i wouldn't even know where to start with a organic model

Volutar

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 01:32:45 pm »

and logos... :

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:42:39 pm by Volutar »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 01:43:46 pm »
ok, now i'm looking at it and i'm thinking that the nasal bone is WAY too big in comparison with a human's, leaving aside the fact that the martians have no "nose" to speak of.

it seems like it's a bit too prominent, and extends a bit too far down. at MOST it should end at around the same point as the bottom of the eye socket, and should probably be very "flat" by comparison to a human skull.
the nasal cavity itself should be fairly high up, and fairly small.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 12:53:19 am »
ok i did a little reconstruction of the nasal bridge and the eye size, i need to correct the alignment of my mirror :)

the jaw bone is being built and i am trying to make teeth that are small and useless. i also did a little fixing on the back of the skull.  I however do not want to do a "perfect" skull on the circumference and such, and i am creating a little ridge on the forehead, my alien specimen had severe head injuries and i am trying to reconstruct its skull :D

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 08:17:25 am »
did some cleaning up, is there any way to clean up the model other than looking at it from every angle, the back is a mess :S and doing it one vertex at a time is killing me :)

anyway here are some pics of what i have done till now.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 09:50:36 am »
ok, that's starting to look bad ass
as for the eye sockets, just make them pretty much as they were and let the ray-tracing render make them dark ;)

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 03:54:08 pm »
ok, that's starting to look bad ass
as for the eye sockets, just make them pretty much as they were and let the ray-tracing render make them dark ;)

I was thinking of extruding internally so that it will create the appearance of bone thickness. and then i saw a tutorial on how to create the appearance of the joint lines.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 07:40:44 am »
ok first i suck a lighting so this will just prove that.

This is my finished model let me know what you guys think!!!