Author Topic: some sprite reskins  (Read 24934 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: some sprite reskins
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2023, 01:24:18 am »
winchester '73[/url] an all american rifle.. what do yuo think?
Im a fan of lever actions for certain reasons, but I dunno. Itd be likely just the existing sprite [ol' carbine] with darkened wood and a lengthened barrel.

ive thought about making a piratez Winchester '54 from fallout as a replacement for the Heavy Plasma. Since its got a creepy gothic almost alien appearance.

Instead atm ive got a yet again redone Plasma Sub although it isnt dark enough in my opinion. Its got 2 barrels as you see at the end, since it has 2 plasma chambers (as if two smaller plasma shots are combined together).

this blackmarch rifle also smoothes the upper handguard against the dark background.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 01:31:56 am by RSSwizard »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2023, 12:54:37 am »
fixed it
also a laser equipped version, since the plasma sub doesn't have magichen motors and apparently has an 82% accuracy on snap mode

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2023, 10:36:45 pm »
a gray plasma sub that looks less used future but still less glamourous than the star god plasma rifle. Also has a gray clip. There's a red laser and green laser version too.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2023, 09:01:17 pm »
not sure I ever posted it
alternate projectile graphics which ive been using for years
although im still playing an older version of the game so i dont know if any new projectiles have been added
pistol shots are yellow
rockets actually look like rockets
lasers are bright blue (ES lasers are purple)
rifle shots, civilian lasers, and plasma are more pronounced
made gauss stuff EGA red

lasers are also wider, being 2 pixels size, which makes them easier to see.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2023, 03:56:41 am »
A small addition to these which ive been putting up into the projectile #50+ range.

RPG, Superheavy Rifle, Durandal
Bombard Mortar, Sitzkrieg Tank Round
Fireball (replaces imp, arena launcher, h.p. accelerator)
X-Plasma, Plasma Scorcher
Heavy Plasma, Cyberdisc Plasma, BFG
XEC auto mortar
Grenade Launchers
3 Shot Burst (one hit)
Mortar
DC Launcher Baby Nuke
UAC Rocket Launcher

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2023, 02:49:07 am »
A uac carbine. Doesn't need a different hand object for it.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2023, 10:17:05 pm »
Interesting idea here, making yet another type of ak rifle except it actually looks futuristic. The UAC shotgun with a different stock also looks abit more like the original doom version. Also a preview on how these look (yeah i use mods).

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2023, 10:07:16 am »
Hi, great job as always! The shotgun is very nice, but for the rest I would like to make some personal observations (no offense!!)

AK: I like the current one, it has a rather "vintage" look of a black market weapon; instead I would try to do something different, maybe shortening the whole weapon and moving the magazine up or sideways (obviously with the right perspective effect) because there are no weapons in xpiratez with a different magazine position, except maybe the bullpup carbine

UAC rifles: it seems to me rather large, cumbersome: perhaps it could be reduced in order to make it more compact and more "squared", like the current one which has a rather angular but original design

:)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2023, 09:31:59 pm »
UAC rifles: it seems to me rather large, cumbersome: perhaps it could be reduced in order to make it more compact and more "squared", like the current one which has a rather angular but original design
I actually DESPISE the bullpup carbine's look, so much that I sell them off and never use them. I just haven't bothered to remake it like some chinese rifle. RCF stuff is pretty useless except the scoped carbine, which is good for training weak pirates (and EP rounds are better in high accuracy weapons). But really the Compact Carbine and Zeerust Rifle are where its at when you get them, and for EP you might as well just use Shiny Niner and Ol' Carbine (80 or 64 damage)

The real reason I imagine for the UAC Rifle looking as it does - because of the design of the rifle carried by zombie trooper sprites in the original doom games. Which is, in a bizarre way hard to actually draw since its low resolution and drawn at an angle. But It Looks Really Cool.

It was supposed to be an m-16 I think but it wasn't modelled that way, heck you could even interpret it as a bullpup of some kind similar to the vhs2/hellion. And in original game the pistol was supposed to be a rifle, which is why the Chaingun uses the same ammo as the pistol and leads to interesting discussions. The answer to those discussions could be found in n64 doom by having the pistol be a desert eagle with a 10 shot magazine (the .44mag desert eagle model technically does have a rare 10 shot extended magazine, but its about as rare as the 12 shot Barrett M82 .50 cal magazine). A heavy goofy submachinegun firing .44 magnum actually sounds feasible at short to medium range, it hits like an AK. And soviet style bullet-pulling mechanisms and gas-operated (but heavily governed) action systems is how you would make a multibarrel machinegun work with any semblance of reliability (soviet gatlings and miniguns dont use electric motors).

But anyway I think the reason X-Piratez' rifle shoots 3 pellets is also a throwback to the original game where the Sergeants firing a Shotgun would emit 3 pellets in the same very wide firing arc every other zombie shoots in (which was a massive 22.5 degree spread I believe). Basically take 3 shots all at once, and that is the same codepointer action that the chaingunner and 20 health zombie trooper uses too. Was kinda-sorta meant to suggest doomguy's always -worn body armor layer soaks shotgun pellets so you only take moderate or chip damage from the blunt force (at most 45 points at point blank range, and thats if each of the damage dice roll "5", average would be 24-30). Poor way to emulate that, just like the super shotgun too, but it was hard to see those mechanics and they had to keep CPU usage to a minimum. Until you played deathmatch and the shotgun turns into a DMR pretty much.

To finish this boomer autistic rant, the original UAC Rifle pretty much looks like that except this one is even better and I think whoever made the current version nailed it. But it should basically be shooting Commando Pistol clips and that just doesn't make much sense. Keep in mind the original Chaingun also used pistol clips like the rifle and each ammo box came with 5 of them, so you could imagine 5 magazines jammed into the bottom of the chaingun and it just somehow auto-switches between each one until they're all done, then like a typewriter kicks them all out of the bottom to make more room. Ahh its like Action Movies from the 80s or that painful Wolfenstein 3d cover image where B.J. has an M-16 with multiple barrels firing at the ceiling.

edit -
The UAC Rifle is a rather powerful and destructive weapon which is 3 times as powerful as a standard assault rifle. So its size and chunkiness are justified.

The suggestion does give me inspiration to make a greenish Bullpup Carbine replacement built out of uac rifle parts though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 09:51:52 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2023, 07:17:04 pm »

oh hell, sorry RSSWizard, i was referring to the new UAC carabine sprite you made! The current xpiratez UAC rifle i think is fine as it is. Sorry again,  dang it! i should not post when tired!!!

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2023, 11:13:48 pm »
Well that happened.
Bullpup Carbine, and its themed after the snazzy assault rifle. Ironically its stays in-game are almost identical just slightly quicker on snap shots. There's two versions, one with a muzzle brake and one with a sixteen inch atf-legal barrel. I tried a bullpup uac rifle and it just turned into a chunky mess. But this little thing works pretty darn good. Reminiscent of that desert tech mdr carbine.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2023, 06:46:01 pm »
Your new UAC carbine is absolutely gorgeous... way too good for such a cheap plastic mass produced weapon :)

And thank you for the projectile sprites, they look great.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2023, 08:36:28 pm »
Your new UAC carbine is absolutely gorgeous... way too good for such a cheap plastic mass produced weapon :)

And thank you for the projectile sprites, they look great.
No prob, as usual you can use or ignore at your leisure. I figure other folks might be interested in them for their mods too or even zdoom stuff.

I wanted to get the carbine brighter like the standard one but it came out all bronze looking so I just went with it. It all started with that BM rifle handguard. Itd work well as a bullpup ar too by changing the mag.

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2023, 02:11:52 pm »
Hey RSSWizard, care to make a new submachinegun lookng omre like an Uzi? I always loved it!

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2023, 05:01:45 am »
The submachinegun looks like an uzi already, just without a stock.

(unrelated) Here's a mixed up Scout Rifle I made, with obvious influences (uac, es, battle rifle, light mg). Might be an acquired taste, but I didn't like the scout rifle anymore.