Author Topic: some sprite reskins  (Read 24938 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: some sprite reskins
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2022, 03:00:19 am »
the custom lasgun
a smartrifle
a shock-a-fist that doesn't look like a yellow hockey puck

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2022, 06:21:34 pm »
the custom lasgun
a smartrifle
a shock-a-fist that doesn't look like a yellow hockey puck

These are awesome. Thank you!

Offline BMANH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2022, 03:16:48 pm »
As an absolute modding noob beyond pressing enable and disable on stuff in the mods folder, how would I go about adding these to my XPiratez game?

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2022, 02:47:17 am »
As an absolute modding noob beyond pressing enable and disable on stuff in the mods folder, how would I go about adding these to my XPiratez game?
Presuming you have a backup copy of the game still zipped up...
You just copy files into the openxcom/mods/piratez/resources folder. Overwriting the existing files.

For those hangar aircraft graphics you put them in the planes subfolder. Beware some of them (heavy plasmas) may not be the correct filename or format, those were more experimental.

Storm_Laser.gif is the proper name for the assault laser.

If you later decide you want to revert some of them, find the originals in the backyp copy of the game and copy them back (or just the entire resources folder, although it would take some time, it would return everything back to standard). All of these instructions assume using a PC but the operation would be similar on a phone/tablet since the folder structure is the same.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 02:49:03 am by RSSwizard »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2022, 12:06:05 am »
Thanks!

Somewhat related ive put up a mod.io bite sized mod for X-P which changes some of the palettes which ive called "Delicious Colors", which alters the red and skin color range more to my liking. Its like eating strawberries by dipping them in instant koolaid juice powder rather than sugar. So far ive noticed zero color mismatches except for some machinegun belts looking more pale. The difference might seem subtle but in my opinion the characters don't look like they have The Simpsons skin tone. At first I was worried the colors would be freely mixed between Range #2 and Range #7 because they're so close, but thankfully while drawing sprites people have segregated the colors (Pinked Out Range #2 most likely) so there's no problem with it.

Edit:
https://openxcom.old.mod.io/delicious-colors-x-piratez
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 12:18:00 am by RSSwizard »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2022, 07:01:25 am »
came up with a new Acid Minibomb style, which unlocks being able to bring back old designs and color schemes. Inspired by the heavy slugthrower acid ammunition (its a glass ball full of acid)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2022, 08:53:51 pm »
came up with a new Acid Minibomb style

And here's two of them, from my double ammo mod.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2022, 02:46:46 am »
Some fresh OC here
Build time about 3 hours.
This is a Fiery Explosion and it works pretty darn well. Not for your typical explosives but for blasts that normally use the dancing flames animation, and probably nukes too. Goes up with a "whoof!" kind of appearance.

Mostly planning on putting in a mod.
Note that they're drawn in the custom modified palette but even under the default with the yellow skin tone they come out pretty good. The key is the fringe color on the edges is still fairly bright while filling in much of the empty spaces the OG explosion leaves behind. Making it look like one huge fireball.
demo mod attached
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 02:54:59 am by RSSwizard »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2022, 07:22:28 am »
here's another one and a real treat too
BFG blast
unfortunately with the gun doing 240 damage the game engine just sorta sprinkles explosion graphics around the impacted area, rather than concentrating them. Still comes out pretty good.
bite sized mod included

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2022, 01:21:10 pm »
Explosions, that are not skull shaped, are wrong explosions!  8)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2022, 07:24:16 pm »
Explosions, that are not skull shaped, are wrong explosions!  8)
:P Just a difference of opinion thats all. I played the game for years not knowing they were skull shaped, and then managed to get an editor that let me grab the sprites. Btw explosions in Xcom Apocalypse aren't skull shaped, and their version of the geoscape even has duke3d style explosions. I know you're j/k

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2022, 12:32:28 am »
Dear Santa RSSwizard

this Christmas might we get new sprites for arquebus, varmint rifle and heavy machine gun? Jokes aside, id like to see new ones, please please us :)

edit: a new ramshackle rifle one might be good too, no offence for the creators! At least please wash away the rust on it...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 01:13:54 am by ontherun »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2022, 10:17:38 pm »
TBH I actually like the ones we have, though I think the stick on the harquebus could be shorter so that the blade protrudes farther beyond the barrel. I do so hate bayonet setups on rifles where the barrel takes up unnecessary blade length, these days you practically got to hit someone in the throat because it barely has length enough to hit them in the heart.

I love the ramshackle rifle and I wish there were real life rifles with such a narrow profile as that (reminds me of swiss STGw-58). Varmint Rifle if I redesigned it would've looked like a Volquartsen .22 but then itd just be another brown stocked rifle.

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2022, 04:57:16 am »
TBH I actually like the ones we have, though I think the stick on the harquebus could be shorter so that the blade protrudes farther beyond the barrel. I do so hate bayonet setups on rifles where the barrel takes up unnecessary blade length, these days you practically got to hit someone in the throat because it barely has length enough to hit them in the heart.

The current one seems to ma a pipe with bayonet though arquebus rarely had these blades, anyway if you care the are some examples for inspiration provider by good ol' google here

I love the ramshackle rifle and I wish there were real life rifles with such a narrow profile as that (reminds me of swiss STGw-58). Varmint Rifle if I redesigned it would've looked like a Volquartsen .22 but then itd just be another brown stocked rifle.

The ramshackle seems to me more like LR-300, while the STG is more ke a FN-FAL, and nnothing in the game resembles the last one. As for the varmint, i think it is not necessary to be like a real nowdays firearm, but new stuff is always welcome and appreciated, but whatever!

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2022, 09:41:38 pm »
I had interpreted the Harquebus to basically be a Spear (ahem, pointy stick) with a gun that just happened to be attached to it similar to the 17th century fad of attaching flintlocks to gauntlets, daggers, swords, canes, or anything else pretty much. Which suits the Ninja well enough. The actual arquebus was a very primitive weapon firing .90 caliber balls, barely able to function, good for maybe one shot per minute (risk of bursting otherwise, and even then, still risk). Basically a tiny cannon with a stock on it, and it hit roughly like a .45acp but was so big it could only dent a breastplate not shoot through it.

The standard musket in Piratez would be superior and the way I interpret it the musket balls probably have a pre-caked wad of propellant like modern muzzleloaders, likely with a peizo sparker so a cap isnt even required, just drop the thing down the barrel, or they could even be breech-loaded and itd be as fast as a single barrel shotgun. With a well developed infrastructure for these primitive weapons over the course of hundreds of years, to the point that the caliber is standardized across the board, the poorer folks of the world would have finely tuned this weapon system to work as basic yet effective as possible without the need for controlled substances like primers or metallic casings.

anyway - have a sprite
it has a shortened stick-y part so that it has a stabby-er pig sticker
somehow this Harquebus feels more sophisticated, like it has more going on with it.

The LR300 is an AR-15 derivative, the ramsh rifle looks too thin to be one and the stock looks like a thinner version of a MG34 stock. Overall I actually like the idea of the ramshackle rifle as a real life weapon. But with the suggested fire rate that means its likely either a bolt action or a pump action model. Y'know actually what it reminds me of is like a really used up Keltec Sub-2000 but with the magazine in front rather than in the grip (since AK bullets are too big)... Its like the kinda thing you'd see in Star Trek being used by people who dont have phasers yet. Also reminds me of those .223 uppers being made for MAC-10 pistols.

One of my fav post apoc weapons of all time was the Hunting Rifle from the original fallout 1 and 2 which is sorta what it represents. Just that it has 30 rounds instead of 10. The raider with the hunting rifle was the one you really needed to take down while everyone else tried to beat you up and shoot pistols at you - because that dude would do some serious damage if left unattended (like 13-17 points often, and you'd have about 60hp)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:09:41 pm by RSSwizard »